Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

bearlady13 Posts: 177

My friend told me we are our own worst critique. I think all bear need love and give it in return. There is always someone out there that would love any bear that is made. I for one love seeing them all. bear_original

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

Me too bearlady! The only ones I may have a problem with are the ones with teeth and claws!

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I haven't seen any with teeth and claws, so I don't know how I feel about them, but they need love too.  You just have to be careful so they don't bite you.

Missouri
Website

Yes, Jessie, I probably would still love them...very carefully!

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

I am making a baby griffon at the minute with a big nose, huge puppy-dog eyes, long mane and long tail with fluffy tip. His front legs have hooves like a horse and his back ones have big toes with claws ~ he's not what I would've thought I'd love to make a long time ago, but now he is my style and I adore him - plus he has the cutest face (even though he only has half a nose lol).

There is a bear for everyone and someone for every bear

Missouri
Website

Gabriele, I can't wait to see pictures of your griffon!

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

I am sure no-one will be happy with my answer - I threw my first bear in the bin as it was so bad, even a mother couldn't have loved it  bear_cry  bear_sad

lovenshire wrote:

Gabriele, I can't wait to see pictures of your griffon!

Me too LOL. I'm having trouble working out how to get pics onto this forum. Usually I copy & paste the URL from my photobucket account ~ as I can't resize my pics straight from the camera so I put them through photobucket. But here I can't do that, or can I? If someone could help with some tips that would be great. I'd love to have an avatar pic and some photos to share.

Thanks so much, I love fantasy-type animals and creatures and I wanted to challenge myself with something totally out of the ordinary ~ surprise I am actually happy with the pattern first time around and I don't think it needs any changes made - which is great! Can't wait to share him. He will be on my site when he's finished:

http://gjoyfulbears.com/main.html

So if I don't work out how to load pics here in the meant time you can see him there (when he's finished). I'm not here to advertise my business really, more so to learn things ~ this is why my website address is not yet in my signature. But feel free to take a peek (it's still a work in progress).

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Gabriele wrote:

I'm having trouble working out how to get pics onto this forum.

You can go to the Technical Help section and read the instructions for How to Upload a Photo. Method #3 talks about uploading them from a website (like Photobucket) if you're not able to re-size them yourself with a photo editing program on your computer. (I'm not able to re-size photos in my camera either, but my computer came with programs that allow me to do it once the photos have been downloaded to my computer. I believe you can find free photo editors online as well.)

Becky

Thanks so much Becky! Will give it a try  bear_grin Will definitely have lots of pics to share now!

Missouri
Website

I use Photobucket and it works great!

That's great to know I'll give it a try as I'd love to share some pics with you all!

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I use Windows Live Photo Gallery.  I do lots of editing with it and it is a free download.

Joanne

Katrina's Miniatures Katrina's Miniatures
Website

Wow, there are some great first bears here!  I don't know where mine is...I think he's hiding in the basement somewhere.  I think I made him when I was eight.  Didn't want to use a pattern, so I drafted one by looking at a bear my mom had made.  He's quite...unique :)

As far as pictures go, I used to have photoshop, but no longer, since I got a new computer.  I recommend Picasa.  It's a free download from Google. http://picasa.google.com/#utm_campaign= … erm=picasa  I haven't figured out how to resize photos in Picasa, so I just use Paint for that.  Pretty much any computer with Windows should have Paint.

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Here's mine -

P5140063.jpg

A sweet but rather understuffed guy with loose eyes. I still have him and have resisted the urge to fix him. He was a JennylovesBenny kit.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Julia - Your little bear has no ears! bear_laugh

Becky

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Just popped in to my former favorite online teddy haunt for a visit, and saw this thread had some recent posts.  It started in 2005 -- wow!

I have to say, most of these first bears are really amazing and all of them have a naive cuteness and simplicity about them that makes them really lovable.  You should all be so proud.

Someone should start a thread for "First bear, most recent bear."  It might be really fun to compare how far even the newest bear maker has grown.

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

mortimer_ttt.jpg

mortimer, my first bear, circa 1996, with his big wonky nose

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Mort is still recognizable as one of yours, Kelly! 

SHELLI!!!!  Hi, girl . . . visit us more often, would ya?!

Missouri
Website

Kelly, I love his big wonky nose!

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

thanks, Sue Ann & Lenora.  :hug:  Mortimer is the only bear I've ever kept, and 15 years later I'm still dying to 'fix' him, but there is no straighting that nose. I thought you cut in the direction of the pile, knowing nothing about cutting straight-of-grain, and so cut out his nose pieces on a diagonal. . . they twisted like dorothy. . .

the worst part was, people kept ordering Mortimers, and I couldn't replicate that damned nose. . .I finally started telling people the pattern had been accidentily destroyed

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

panda-and-bear-nose-003-300x400.jpgHere is one of my first from the mid 1980's.  Panda pattern from CR Crafts.  I need to find that pattern so I can remember how to do those eye patches.

Poor guy is all head and limbs.

Joanne

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Here is an early one of mine, from the early eighties. Made from very nasty acrylic fur I found in our local fabric store. Couldn't get any components for it, so the eyes are appliqued circles of felt with an embroidered highlight and his nose is appliqued felt too. And he's jointed using cotte pins and discs I cut myself from a broom handle......we really didn't have anywhere here that supplied bear making stuff back then and the internet was just a dream!  He still lives with me. IMG_2657.JPG

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

All of these bears give me a smile. bear_wub The techniques might not have been mastered, but the love was there.

Becky

Missouri
Website

I don't think first bears should ever be sold.  They are something very special.

Board footer