Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Here's an unusual question for y'all.  I have a few artist bears, three that are child safe bears, a few that are flatties that my friends have made for me as samples for a pattern they gave me, and three that are full on collector bears with mohair, glass eyes, stuff inside that makes them a bit hard, and the whole nine yards.  As you all know, the collector bears are stuffed really hard in their heads and their faces have a lot of sculpting.  I'm really close to these bears, so I love sleeping with them.  The bad thing is that if I cuddle a big group of bears together when I'm lying down to go to sleep, sometimes I can get jabbed in the chest with the hard, sculpted face.  Then I wind up putting the artist bears beside me and just snuggling Arcto or one of my plushies.  Is there any way I could stop the bears from jabbing me or does that just come with the territory?  If I have one or two artist bears and a few manufactured bears I can usually position them creatively so I'll have a soft bear against my chest, but sometimes I have all artist bears except one.  I hope this isn't a stupid topic, but I've just been getting jabbed in the chest tonight and I couldn't sleep, well that's probably because of other stuff.  Thanks a lot bears, lol.

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

LOL ~ Something artists who work with mohair aim with all their heart and effort to achieve is a well stuffed head!!! I think all you can do is keep positioning them creatively as there isn't much you can do to change the stuffing and sculpting of a bear and keep it looking good. The artists who created those bears should be proud that you think they're so well stuffed! LOL

This post made me smile. Personally when I do take a bear to bed (which is only rarely because when I do take one with me I never roll in the direction that the bear is lying ~ subconsciously even while sleeping I know he's there & I never go that way as I know I'll squash him, so I tend to sleep uncomfortably and end up placing him gently on the drawers beside me lol) .... anyway when I do take a bear with me I choose a soft one as it's more cuddly. Plus if I spend a lot of money on a bear I worry about it getting ruined or something.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I haven't spent a lot of money on the bears.  Two were given to me and one I got in a swop.  This is the bad thing about being broke or there would be scads of artist bears here.  However, if I spent a lot on a bear, I would most definitely love on that bear.  I don't know whether I'd sleep with them.  It would depend on how awkward it was, but I would definitely love that bear a lot.  Would I spend several thousand dollars on a grand piano and never play it?  I don't think so!!!  I feel the same about bears.  I don't think I could say to my bear, sorry dude.  You're an expensive artist bear, so I have to stick you on a shelf.  Meanwhile he gets to watch me love on the other bears.  That would be kind of cruel.  BTW, when I get a bear I always ask the artist whether it's okay to sleep with them before I do.

Awww that's so nice that you ask! If it was me you were asking I'd say yes go for it!! And yes, pianos are a lot like bears! None of my bears just sit on a shelf ~ that is cruel but some people think it's normal. Everyone's different thank goodness.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Yeah, that's true.  I wish I could adopt a bunch of artist bears and love them all to death so they wouldn't have to endure that fate.  BTW, Gabriele, can you make phone calls to the U.S.?  When I meet people I love hearing their voice so I can get a picture in my head of a person.  Bearlove to you.

ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website

Depends on the bear I suppose.  I have often fallen asleep with Lawrence:

2011-07-21%2B19.21.32.jpg

:)

-- Thomas Adam

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

He's made by Becky Chase, isn't he?  I have Joanie from her and she sleeps with me a lot.  I guess for some reason last night I couldn't get comfortable.  I was getting jabbed for some reason.  I don't know what the heck was going on with that.

ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website
wubbiebear wrote:

He's made by Becky Chase, isn't he?

Yes -- is there any other type?  :)

-- Thomas Adam

Jessie I'm not sure about how to go about making a phone call to the US but I will find out! I used to hate talking to people through a computer so once I got their numbers I'd ring them all and hear who they really were lol ~ not everyone appreciated it but I much prefer the phone bear_original I will find out how to go about that or if there is a way you could call me..... I'm sure there is I just can't remember the country codes as well as the state and town codes LOL bear_original

I will find out and let you know bear_original Bear-love right back to you bear_original

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Thomas Adam wrote:

I have often fallen asleep with Lawrence

You make this bear-maker very happy, Thomas.  bear_original

Becky

He's a gorgeous bear Becky and I'd be over the moon too if someone told me they loved one of my bears so much they took it to bed with them bear_original Unfortunately most people who do this don't want to own up to it, like they've done something wrong, and wouldn't tell me if they did anyway. That always makes me smile because they are talking to me, the one who made the bear, and they don't want to admit how much they love it as if I don't understand???? Of course I understand!!! All artists do I think bear_original

Lawrence is gorgeous well done Becky, your bears are very "real teds" if you know what I mean  bear_thumb

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I have her bear Joanie and I sleep with her a lot.  I just think she's the best.  And no it wasn't her that jabbed me.  I can turn her head easily so that that doesn't happen.  I guess I should have put her in front beside Arcto and then that wouldn't have happened, lol.

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp
dangerbears wrote:

You make this bear-maker very happy, Thomas.  bear_original Becky

Here is one fellow called Vincent who has spent many nights in my bed as well, after reading a bed-time story, of course !  bear_grin

Vincent.jpg

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the bears

(P.S. sorry about the poor quality photo  bear_shocked )

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

I am in love with Lawrence.  He is just my type of bear!  What a beauty. 
I have to admit I sleep with my bear (when I can get away with it!)  It is a big bear and my husband bought him for me many years ago to help me sleep.  He is not jointed and he supports my arm and one of my legs so I can get my spine straight to sleep.  I had a back injury when I was 13 and am basically chippled from it so I have to have support.  I just love this bear and I gave him a new nose recently because I guess I had rubbed his off!
Why I said when I can get away with it is because my little Westie does not like the bear and some nights she gets between me and the bear and kicks and kicks until she gets him off the bed.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

And Joy, Jessie, Peter and Lenora, too - You're all out to make me very happy today!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Becky

Board footer