Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

ursaminor Posts: 52

Hey everyone! So, I've realized that there is another bear maker by the name of URSA Minor (and there may even be more than one) - of course, this name is hardly original so I'm looking to re-brand before I start really making and selling my bears.

I'd prefer not to use my name in the title as my name is not very memorable. But I was hoping ya'll might be able to help me brainstorm some clever names as I'm quite at a loss! Thanks for the help in advance bear_original

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Sounds like fun, Pam! Maybe you could write a bit about yourself and your life to give us some jumping-off material. Or something about the things you associate with teddy bears. And definitely something about your personal style (e.g. are you an old-fashioned Victorian gal trapped in the modern world, or a sassy steam-punk world traveler, or...You get the idea! :))

Becky

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

We had a discussion on this a few years ago.  You will find it in the library (above your post on the left) in the "General" section.  Scroll down a little way and you'll come to the thread labelled 'Naming a Teddy Bear Business'.  Hope you find something helpful.

You know, I had an inkling I was missing a library post - thanks so much Sue Ann!!

And thanks Becky - I think I'm a Victorian chick trapped in a modern world. I love the internet and all new technology but what I wouldn't give for a simpler time where I could spend all day sewing! bear_happy I do love steam-punk though....and just by making me think with those questions I have some ideas. You're the best! XDD

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

One more thing to add.  I know you say your name is not very memorable, but make sure you also use your name.  I know bears by their makers names, so much more than their business names.  Not just from here or facebook, but for some reason the name and face of the artist sticks with me. 

Joanne

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Joanne writes: One more thing to add.  I know you say your name is not very memorable, but make sure you also use your name.  I know bears by their makers names, so much more than their business names.  Not just from here or facebook, but for some reason the name and face of the artist sticks with me. 

Joanne

I don't have a business for I don't sell my bears so I can't advise from personal experience. But I took a bear making class By Denis Shaw and one of the students asked about how to name a bear business. From what I understood Denis to say is that you should have your name as part of your brand. He said it is easier for people to remember your name rather than trying to remember what you named your business. Plus you want people to know who made the bear right?

Take Joannes advice and put your name in the branding. that is my two cents.

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

I used Angelbearies as a bear business name until I found that it was someone's trading name on Ebay.  Then I had to come up with another name.  Plum Cottage Bears just sounded right.  I suppose I should add, Plum Cottage Bears by Gail S. Thomas.  Does that sound like too much of a mouthful?

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

My business name is my name anyway ~ at least partially. My name is Gabriele Joy and my bears are called GJOYful Bears ~ but I do add on to that my name. My mother and I make and sell our bears together through this name and the same site so we usually say "GJOYful Bears by Gabriele Joy and Robyn Kaye" we have been told our business name is very memorable though and no one else that I'm aware of is using the name.

Hopefully you come up with a name that means something special to you! Good luck bear_original

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I came up with my business name Braille Teddies because I'm pretty sure, especially after spending all this time here, that nobody would be using it.  Also, I'm kind of playing up the fact that I'm a blind bear maker because I think collectors would think it's cool to have a bear made by a blind person because we see the world so differently.  Also, I felt I had to explain why there probably isn't a lot of visual beauty in my teds.  I think if people think I'm sighted and they see my very basic flatties, they'll think my bears are just blah and have no personality, but if they know I'm blind, they'll realize that I'm interpreting the world as I see it.  It's really hard because apparently the world of collector bears is so blasted visual.  In life, I don't like to walk up to someone and go, "Hi, I'm Jessie and I'm blind", but I figure if I'm stuck with blindness, I might as well use it to my advantage when selling bears.

I have actually always loved your bear business name Wubbie - it's perfect for the beautiful pieces you create - this bearmaking thing is a very complex medium and you've done an amazing job with it!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I also like the name Braille Teddies very much, but I think you underestimate the visual appeal of your bears. They have a whole lot of cuteness and personality - even before you pick them up and give them a squeeze...tee hee.

Becky

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Yes I agree, Bob the bear that I have is adorable, and so is the bear in your avatar.

Joanne

mulberrybendbears Posts: 16

Alrighty - formerly Ursa Minor Bears is now Mulberry Bend Bears - named after an infamous street in 1800s NYC bear_original

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

Loving that business name it's perfect! And really catchy, it's great good choice bear_original

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I like the new name, too! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

It's an interesting story (I had to look it up), and they turned the notorious area into a beautiful park, according to my very brief research.

Becky

mulberrybendbears Posts: 16

They certainly did, Becky -  a park I walked many times throughout my life growing up in the city. If you want a fascinating peep at what life was like in that area over a hundred years ago, read "How The Other Half Lives" by Jacob Riis (it's available free online I believe via Google Books). It's incredible how the area has completely changed since then thanks to Jacob Riis' expose and a compelling historical read.

Board footer