Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I'm thinking about doing some online shows in the future, when I'm able to and have some experience.  Do most shows have restrictions about what kind of bears people have and the way they price them?  I almost cried when I looked at the Teddies Worldwide show application and saw that you had to be making your bears for a long time before you could participate.  I also was told by an artist that she was trying to join a group, but they have a minimum you have to charge before you can be a part of that group.  She said that if the group had artists selling bears for lower than the limit it would make the group look bad or something like that. 

Will I ever be able to sell my bears at online shows or regular shows (big maybe here because I'm not able to travel) because of my prices?  I'm not trying to be competition for any other artist, but I just want anyone who wants a Braille Teddy to be able to have one.  I mean no disrespect to anyone here, but I'm the type of person who would give my bears away if money were no object.  I just would like to have enough money to get my material and hopefully adopt more bears.

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

Awwww I can really empathize with you there. I would absolutely love to give every last one of my bears away to absolutely anyone who loved them but unfortunately cannot afford to do so. My most expensive bear has still not sold and is $490 AUD ~ before you gasp, this is only because she was a custom order that fell through and the materials to make her were about $360. I feel really guilty charging a lot for my bears, not that I don't think they are worth it I just hate to hear, "I would love one but can't afford it" ~ I want everyone who loves one to have one.

Most online shows have a minimum on the number of years you've been making bears ~ usually about 2 years I've found. I have never heard of a group that has a price minimum though! I really don't want to offend anyone here but that makes me very angry ~ anyone who makes bears should be able to join these things regardless of how much they charge for their bears (OK there have to be some guide-lines but generally speaking I don't think it's fair to judge on price tags). They probably don't want the forum or whatever to look tacky with "cheaper" bears on it but I really think that's inappropriate as bears should not be about designer labels and price tags.

That is my opinion though so if you disagree don't worry I'm just lil ole me in my lil ole house making bears I like to make affordable to most people bear_original Please don't take offense anyone, it is simply my personal view point.

Wubbiebear (what is your real name I get confused between all these forums and names etc lol) I love your bears and I really want to own one one day. Don't be upset by what people say about your bears and if forums have a price tag minimum I would stay clear of them anyway. Hopefully you can find somewhere that you can sell your bears and publicize them that is perfect for you and your bears and that feels right. Good luck to you I really mean that ~ I also really hope I haven't offended anyone again this is all just my personal opinion!

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Gabriele, my name is Jessie.  If you would like to do a bear swop I would love that.  I dread shipping overseas, but such is life for a bear artist I guess.  Right now there are no available bears because I'm out of thread and I need some eyeballs because I'm working on a new pattern and I'm stuck.  After that I plan to start making some teds to sell.  I think you would be able to have one of my bears easily because I like to keep them around $15 or $20 US dollars.  I've sold a mohair flattie for $30 to someone who isn't really a collector, but I didn't feel bad about charging her because she's loaded and she's a straightie.

I would be quite happy to pay for one of your bears Jessie, I only say that as right now I have swapped quite a lot of bears for bears and my custom order list is currently full (my swap bears go onto my custom order list). But I'd like more than one of your bears probably Jessie so I could buy one and then later on we could swap! Unfortunately even my mini bears are about $60 however I am sure I can work something out. Don't worry I work around lots of things for my bears and can certainly make a bear that would work out at about $30 without it being a boring bear (there's no such thing is there lol). We'll work something out bear_original I'll contact you when I've found one of your bears that just tugs at my heart-strings (most of them do but I will look for one that just stands out awesomely to me).

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Hi Jesse,  I have never heard of a group that was not allowing members in to sell because of pricing.  I have heard of groups that determine entry by the amount of time someone has been selling.  And there are also shows that jury, meaning that you are allowed to participate if your work meets a certain standard of quality.  The quality and the time producing bears are kind of together I think, because the longer you work at something the better you get.

There are craft shows that I have done that do not have any requirements, just a table fee.  You may want to do a Google search and see what is coming up in your area.   They are a lot of fun because you get to meet the people looking at and buying your work.

Joanne

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

How do you determine quality?  If you mean a bunch of visual stuff, they probably won't dig my bears at all, especially not the flatties, lol.  I'm trying to learn how to do this.

Bloomsburg, PA

Quality has nothing to do with extras.  It has to do with the materials used, is it good quality synthetics and mohair, or is it the cheap stuff.  You have said yourself you can feel the difference when you bear shop. Are the stitches sticking out because they are done too loosely?  Are the ears sewn on tightly?  Are they even?  You can feel the quality of something just like you can see it.  These are the things that get better with time.  You learn how to do things better the more you do them.
It does not matter if you make a flatty or a bear with 30 pieces to it.  If you make that flatty the best it can be made people will see it and feel it.   That really is the best thing about a craft show, people can see and feel the quality of the work.

Joanne

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I don't know whether I can tell high quality synthetics when I see it.  I'm not good at judging bears when I see them, whether they're made of cheap or high end fur.  I can tell mohair because it has its own texture that is very distinct.  I'm told my stitching is getting better, but there have been so many bears that have been given away or sold live on sight and I wasn't able to get pictures.  I usually like to get someone with eyeballs to look at my bears to make sure there isn't anything stupid going on like gaps or anything like that before I would determine that a bear is finished.  BTW, I don't think I've ever had my paws on expensive faux fur unless that's what Becky and Lenora sent me.  IO'm afraid to buy expensive fur because I'm extremely broke and unless I can sell a bear I'm up the famous creek without a paddle, lol.  Besides, I don't want to buy fur unless I can feel it, which means I go to the fabric store and pick from what they have.

Bloomsburg, PA

Yes to go to the fabric store is fine.  There are reliable places to buy good synthetic fur online too.  I another thread you did say something about feeling bears at Walmart and how they feel like they are not even fur anymore that is what I am speaking of.  As far as buying high quality faux fur, that will depend on the market you are trying to reach.  If you want to sell bears for cuddling, that are safe for children to play with then less expensive fur, and plastic eyes are good.  If you are after the higher end artist bear market then they will be expecting higher quality fur, and glass eyes.  As you get more practiced with your skills you will have the confidence to use the more expensive things without fear. 

Joanne

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Oh yeah, that felt cr*p they're coming out with or whatever that stuff is.  Now I see.  I can usually get out of the fabric store for around $10 or just a little above, but I'm trying to do child safe bears, so I think that's what I need.  Unfortunately my first fabric I bought was from Hobby Lobby.  Their selection was sad, but I found this white fur that felt a lot like Arcto, so I got it.  I can't believe they let me walk out of there with that.  I love the feel of it, but I can't get anybody to cut it.  I'm still going to try, though.  I think I'll line it with cloth.  That might be easier for me to sew.  Everybody says glass eyes are pretty visual, or at least they have trouble explaining to me how to do it.

Synthetic should not stretch too much ~ that's really the main thing about it. If it's poor quality it will stretch to high heaven lol, and if it is nice and tight and knitted back it is good quality. This is determined by feel alone so you should be fine with finding good quality synthetic Jessie bear_original

Board footer