Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

I thought there was a thunder storm just after six o'clock this morning but the noise was a large explosion at an oil depot fifteen to twenty miles from my home near to Hemel Hempstead, hertfordshire . The explosion has been felt up to eighty miles in diameter. There is now a huge fire and people are being evacuated from the area because of the fumes and smoke. Many houses have been damage but luckily not too many people injured. It has been reported as being heard as far as Northern France and Holland. I pray that there have been no lives lost.

Jane  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Oh,that's horrible ,Jane. I add my heartfelt prayers and hope everyone is safe and well . Please take care !  :hug:   :hug:

Pipa UK

Hope everyone is safe

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I've been watching the news, Jane, and the satellite photos show a huge plume of smoke drifting across North London and beyond. It looks dreadful, and I'm amazed no one has lost their life in this incident. The eye witness reports are horrific, especially from the men who were in the actually in the yard of the site when the explosion happened... 

They say it'll burn a few days  bear_sad

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

I've just seen the news too, my family live in Hertfordshire (St Albans), so should be far enough away I hope.  It looks terrible in the film footage.  Make sure you stay indoors Jane with the windows closed, they say the smoke is an irritant.  Stay safe,
Big Hugs
Catherine

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I have just seen it at the TV news too.  Dear, poor people who had to evacuate...

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Jane you be careful, honey, you're still healing from surgery.....and your lungs are so precious... bear_cry   keep us poster.

Poor England has been through so much lately.....I sincerly hope this was an accident  and not terrorist based......but who can say.  Our experience herein the states is that unless the government has to, they don't tell the truth.  It is disconcernting.

hugs to you sweetie.....keep breathing clean air...
dilu

PS  they just showed pics here on the tv.....awful

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

It's on TV here too!
Jane, I'm glad you are far enough away!
Big hugs,
Daphne

Deb Upstate New York

Friends in a neighboring town had similar experience (heard an explosion) yesterday.  Residential, not industrial.  Scary stuff.

http://www.star-gazette.com/apps/pbcs.d … 10334/1001

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I've just looked through the photos from BBC....how awful!  Please do take good care of yourself, and use air filters if you have any.   bear_thumb

What I'm worried about are all the horses/ponies and other livestock.  Police are telling people to stay inside with doors and windows closed, but what about all those poor animals out there breathing this stuff?  bear_cry

Thankfully, it does look to be just an accident with no "terror" implications.....

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Awful stuff!  Glad you are safe, Jane . . . hope everything will be okay and with a minimum of injury.  :pray:   :pray:

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Jane - you must live near me honeybun!  bear_original Send me a PM and let me know what town/village you in!

We have just got back from a weekend away and we were dreading the drive home but although many roads were closed the roads were quite empty thank goodness. But the SMELL was awful as we drove back into this area of Hertfordshire - yuk, no wonder people are being told not to go out and keep their windows shut.
I saw the early morning news and was really shocked at the size of the explosion and fire - just think of the environmental damage it could cause - i'm soo glad that there were no fatalities, bad things have a habit of happening around the Xmas period don't they? Or does it just seem that way?

Glad you are OK though  :hug:

Penny  bear_wub

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Very scary... glad you are ok Jane...  :hug:

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

just been online to my daughter who lives in London but they are ok ....heard the explosion ...stay safe Jane

Gatehouse Bears Gatehouse Gallery
Lockwood, Victoria, Australia

I watched it on CNN last night and it looked really bad.  Keep inside Jane, you don't want to be breathing that honey bun. :hug:

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Jane, I'm so sorry !!
I just hear this horrible news this morning on TV and I was off from TV yesterday...  bear_cry

Glad to hear that you were ok but please stay safe.
Hugs/Marie

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Jane,

What a scary thing to happen!  I'm glad you're ok.  Stay safe.   :hug:

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Clad you are all right Jane i to saw it on the news are you getting any of that black smoke ?

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

....that's really scary! Jane, I'm glad you're OK

Please, take care!
There was an explosure in China on some chemical factory. And neighbor state is in high danger of the pollution. really scary and can cause lots of death.
I do hope  this incendent in Britain won't take humans lives.  :hug:  bear_grin  bear_innocent  :pray:

Julia

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

scary stuff!!  bear_cry
I'm so glad your okay Jane! :hug:

Stay safe and I hope everyone in the area stays safe and away from the smoke as much as possible.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

The fire is still burning and another huge tank has caught fire so it looks as if the problem will continue for some time. The firemen have used foam on the fire to try and control it but so far no luck. What it has done is change the way the smoke it rising. The smoke is now far lower to the ground which is far more dangerous to life. My son and daughters college has closed today because of the smoke. It don't know if it will open again before Christmas. My son was to be in a stage show on Wednesday, he is still waiting to see if this will go ahead. It will be a shame if it is cancelled as he and all the other actors have worked so hard on learning their parts.

Jane  bear_flower

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

It's on the news over here. It's absolutely tremendous. Such a catastrophy!!! :pray:  :pray:

Board footer