Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I know this is not bear related, but I was wondering who all here also collects dolls.  I've just started this hobby about a month ago and I was just curious.  Also, I love forums, so I hope someone can direct me to some cool forums.  I need some that won't laugh at my dolls that, like my bears, don't have big labels.

Gemma82 Wakefield
Website

I collect all sorts of dolls, some expensive and some not so.  I tend to go for ones with character rather than pretty pretty ones.

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

I collect dolls too! I have quite a few now, and  I'm a member of a great doll forum but aren't we supposed to refrain from mentioning other forums on here? I won't say the name of it but it's a lovely place and look forward to reading about your new collection Jessie bear_original

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I collect dolls too. I am more of an avid doll collector than teddy bear collector.  I just went to a doll show this weekend.  There are lots of doll shows around Jesse, you might want to look for ones in your area.  I love all kinds,  I have them from the 1930's or so to brand new ones I find cute at Walmart.  I have Blythe's and Kewpies, but my favorite I think is a Pebbles Flintstone doll from the early 1970's.  I loved that show as a kid, and she is so cute.

Joanne

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

I collect a few dolls here and there too!  Like Gemma, I go for the one's with character.  I seem to be attracted to "loved" dolls.   I also collect handmade dolls, either all fabric or paperclay and fabric.  I'm actually experimenting with making a paperclay and fabric doll for myself.  Uh-oh, that's what started my bear making now that I think of it.
:crackup:  :crackup:

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Cool.  Gabriele, is it a reborn forum?  I've seen your posts there, but I'm not a member there.  BTW, why can't you say the name of a forum?  I don't think they're in competition.

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

I LOVE dolls. My favorite is painted muslin, and I also like character dolls vs. pretty!  I like to design and make dolls as well as collect them.  I am currently working on a small doll and teddy bear.  Hope it works out!!!   :pray:

bearkidz bearkidz by Marion Fraile
charlotte
Website

I also collect dolls and bears. I have antique dolls like e.g. Kestners, but also modern dolls like a BJD in my collection. A doll needs to "speak" to me to make it into my collection. This also applies to my bear collection.

I am also member of doll forums, however these are German forums and most likely of no use to you.

You will probably be able to find groups/forums on the internet.

Hugs,
Marion bear_original

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

I have a few BJDs now bear_original

Stuffed Lincolnshire

Ooh, more dolly people :D
I collected Asian ball jointed dolls before I got into bears. The trouble with abjds is storing them, i find...nowhere safe to put them.
I wonder if these two hobbies often go hand in hand...

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I definitely think dolls and bears go together.

Stuffed Lincolnshire

They're like old friends  bear_grin

And of course, bears and more bears go together pretty well...

Gemma82 Wakefield
Website

Wubbiebear, what dolls have you got so far?

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

I collect dolls too. BJD dolls from Soom. Mostly the monthly dolls with hooves - claws and wings or mermaid fins.

Stuffed Lincolnshire

I love the Soom monthly dolls...I keep missing out on them :(
Beryl was especially nice. Hooves and wings definitely work for dolls...but it's a shame there aren't more centaurs.

Jessie it is a reborn doll forum. I don't know if I'm meant to mention names or not, I just really love this forum and would hate to do something and accidentally be banned lol. It's a lovely place. I PM'd you the name of it just in case. I'm not trying to advertise it as I love this place too and they're both totally different to each other in what is displayed, but same in the way that they are both lovely little communities. Many of my good friends are on the other forum which is how I found it in the first place, I have lots of different dolls though.

I do, for the record, love it here and wasn't sure what we were and weren't supposed to mention so I tried to avoid "Getting in trouble" :crackup:

Bear hugs to you all bear_original

Bloomsburg, PA

I think you are allowed to talk about other sites and forums.  You see how we blab all the time about Facebook.  I think that they would prefer if we not discuss other places that would be in direct competition with Intercal, this sites sponsor. 

Joanne

OK, thanks Joanne bear_original Just being careful bear_original

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Gabriele, I know what forum you're on because I've seen you there.  I haven't joined yet because they just seemed to be about reborns and I don't have any of those, but I think I will join because they have a bear section.

All the dolls I have are from the thrift stores and are mostly not collectible except this baby I just got yesterday.  She has a cloth body and porcelain hands and head,  Her feet are cloth and she has a very long christening gown, so I figure she's safe for me to love on her because her feet don't clatter together.  She was made in 1978.  The other doll I have that may be collectible is an adorable Zapf baby.  I like dolls with cloth bodies and either cloth arms and legs or vinyl.  I prefer them to be weighted so they feel like a real baby.  I have to be able to hug them the same as I do with my bears.

Stuffed Lincolnshire

They make those really interesting monkey reborn dolls, I encountered some at a car boot sale near my home and the stall owner insisted that I held one of them! So heavy! His wife bought the kits and assembled and painted them, weighted them with pellets and took them along to events to sell...she really was a talented artist, and the weight of them was so real.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I really want a reborn doll, but I need to sell a whole bunch of bears first because my money tree has died.

Stuffed Lincolnshire

Reborn dolls certainly are expensive, they're not my area of knowledge so the cost was unknown to me until I just googled it. I remember a brilliant documentary about reborn dolls where a lady went all the way to America just to get a doll she wanted, only to find out its head was broken! It must've been so disappointing for her, especially since she went all that way.

Bloomsburg, PA
wubbiebear wrote:

I really want a reborn doll, but I need to sell a whole bunch of bears first because my money tree has died.

You can by a doll that many artists use for reborning.  It is a Berenguer La Newborn real life baby.  I saw one at K Mart once in New Mexico.  But Berenguer dolls any of them are very life like and adorable.  Look in Walmart for Berenguer Lots of Love Babies too. I love them and you can find them at Walmart and K Mart for under $20.00.

I just came home from Walmart with a Ball Jointed Doll that I have never seen.  She is beautiful, a Moxie Teen.  Bigger than the other Moxie Dolls, and she was only $25.00, which is a price range I can love.

Joanne.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Well I guess I'll be getting a Berenguer doll then.  I also love Zapf babies.  I've heard horror stories on my doll forum about people paying $$$ for a doll and then getting her and finding out she's messed up.  As a bear artist, I'm horrified.  I'd be horrified if I sent out a messed up bear, which is why I get someone with eyeballs to look at my bears before I would even dream of sending them off.  People with eyeballs have no excuse!!!

You can join the forum regardless of whether you have a reborn or not Jessie, it's a lovely place. Lots of people on there hope to one day own one and they are welcomed there like everybody else.

Baby Banter has a bear section I've been helping to set it up with the administrator, we're trying to get some tutorials for bear making and that in there because they're all doll people there and don't know the basics about how bears are made, but some would like to have a go. So we're trying to set up some sections about some basic bear making tuts.

The good looking reborns are expensive, basically the more you pay the better doll you get - but not always, you do have to watch those artists just trying to make money fast who really haven't made the doll properly. I have 7 reborns. 5 were made by Andama Dujon, the administrator of Baby Banter, the other 2 were by different artists.
Not because they look like babies or anything like that (I understand some people need them for therapy etc and they're very helpful to some people) I just like them because they're very artistic and lovely dolls.

Jessie on the forum, Baby Banter reborn dolls forum, you're welcome to talk about dolls you hope to one day own, or ask advice of the members on what reborns to buy etc. You can also share pics of your bear collections and bears you've made and generally do anything lol. We don't mind, it's a very easy-going forum if you do the right thing (it also has some of the strictest spam detection  programs in place I've ever seen so members occasionally accidentally get banned for posting a link or something and we have to let them back in lol).

Anyway anyone who likes dolls is welcome there basically. And bear people too! It's an everybody place. Like this forum, it's a bit of everything bear_original

Board footer