Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

FrancesAnne Isle of Wight

I've just finished assembling a Yorkshire Terrier (that sounds so weird!) but after all the handling he's had his silky wavy fur was a mess, so I brushed him.  Now he looks too fluffy.  I think his fur should drape flat & silky down his back & sides but he looks more like a ball of fluff!  Very cute but not quite the effect I was after.  I was tempted to try a damp brush or a touch of hair gel, but I thought I'd ask your advice before I ruin the lovely mohair. 

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi there!  Putting water on the mohair won't harm it in the least bit.  I do it all the time.   bear_smile   I would try to avoid completely saturating the backing though as it could shrink a bit depending on how he mohair was dyed/curled etc before it came to you.  Just get the hair part wet with a brush or spray bottle, then lightly comb it or brush it with your fingers or a hairbrush... let it dry and see where you are at. 

I'd simply try that before adding a hair product.  I'm sure that some could leave flakes, or yellow over time... though I know that there are some bear makers who do use "product" on mohair with regularity. 

I use water to bring back the curl on my bears after they've been matted or become too fluffed from my working on them.

Let us know how it goes!

Hugs,
Kim Basta

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

You can also blow dry it after you dampen it.  I would use a brush with the dryer on low and brush it where you want it to go.  Just keep the dryer moving so it won't scorch the fur.

Joanne

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

I use human hair products on my mohair all the time and it works wonderfully.  I have 2 favorite products and I'm not sure if you have them in the UK but you may have something similar.  One is Paul Mitchell Moisture - Awapuhi Moisture Mist and the other is Jane Carter Solution Natural Hold Spray Gel made from all natural ingredients.  This one I water down to a 50/50 water, gel solution.  The mohair comes out shiny and soft and will not be flyaway frizzy or full!
Good luck!
Hugs,
Janice

FrancesAnne Isle of Wight

Thank you all, that's so helpful.  My little Yorkie will be going to the 'hair salon' this afternoon! bear_grin

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

Would love to see pictures of her after her makeover!  xoxo

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Thanks for weighing in Janice.  It's very much like using products on human hair.... some products are just yuck... and some can work miracles!  bear_wub

Hugs,
Kim

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ
desertmountainbear wrote:

You can also blow dry it after you dampen it.  I would use a brush with the dryer on low and brush it where you want it to go.  Just keep the dryer moving so it won't scorch the fur.

Joanne

Joanne, May I ask when you do this?  After cutting out but before sewing, or after sewing but before stuffing, or after the bear is completed?  If after completion, do you have problems with shading disappearing or the eyes getting to warm?  I've wanted to do this, but not sure at what stage.  I have only wet the fur down, taped it, and let it dry, but it seems to eventually crawl back!  Thanks, tc

Board footer