Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

FrancesAnne Isle of Wight

Does anybody know of a U.K. supplier of thin soft leather suitable for noses & paws.  Someone who will sell small quantities would be good.  I've had a browse around Ebay and elsewhere but a lot of the leathers look too thick or only available as large pieces or full hides.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

The big pieces on eBay are very reasonable..I have had mine for 10 years nearly...look for glove leather..1-1.5 mm that works fine...sometimes you can buy scrap bags but you never know what you get .You could always buy a big piece and go halvers with someone who also wants to buy?

Thank you Jenny, that's very helpful.  I wasn't sure what thickness would work best so you've answered that question for me  bear_original  Now I'll know what sort of leather to look for.  I was pretty sure that upholstery leather would be too thick.
Many thanks  bear_wub
Frances

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

Not sure Frances as I have not worked with leather before, however it is on my list of things to do/try. If you are looking for anybody to go halves in a big piece let me know lol, I have a use for everything and wouldn't mind going halves if you have to buy in bulk. Don't look for someone who stocks bulk specially for me though, just letting you know if you HAVE to buy in bulk I'd be interested in going in halves. If you can find it smaller than that's great too bear_original

I made a stuffed leather nose twice before but it was too thick (the leather) and looked awful. Those bears went to teddy bear heaven, better known as the "dud" pile lol.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I use a fellow on ebay called the leather guy.  He also has a website of the same name.  I buy full hides of lambskin between 1-2oz.  They are not expensive.

Joanne

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears wrote:

.... if you HAVE to buy in bulk I'd be interested in going in halves. If you can find it smaller than that's great too bear_original
I made a stuffed leather nose twice before but it was too thick (the leather) and looked awful. Those bears went to teddy bear heaven, better known as the "dud" pile lol.

Gabriele, thank you for that suggestion, I'll bear it in mind if I do have a large skin (the leather I mean!). bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Joanne, thanks for your help once again!  I've bookmarked The Leather Guy for future reference, he has a great selection and good prices. 

My husband reminded me today of a dolls house suppliers not far from us who have a rack of smallish leather skins tucked away in the corner of the store, so I'm going to go there on Monday.  They're obviously for making miniature furniture so they shouldn't be too thick.  Dolls houses were another interest of ours a few years back but now on the 'back boiler' until we have more space.

dollmamaalena Vintee Town Bears
San Diego

Look on local flea market, you can get some piece of cloth ( jackets, t-skirts made from nice fine leather) as well.

Board footer