Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ever since I mentioned this in passing, people have been asking me for this recipe.  I'm happy to share it.

How's this for a trace-back for its origins...?  I got this recipe from my ex-husband's, co-worker's, wife, who got it from an East Bay newspaper, which published the recipe, which came from the East Bay restaurant EULIPIA, which I have never seen and where I have never dined. 

:)

Anyhoos...

This recipe, being from a restaurant, makes FOUR tarts.  Yes, FOUR.  It's super easy to mix up and if you want to cheat, like I do, and use frozen crusts, you can literally have all four pies in the oven and baking in about 20 minutes.  It's incredibly good served warm with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream.  Yum yum.  And it freezes beautifully; just thaw and eat.

I usually keep two pies -- one for Christmas dinner, and one for later... and give the other two to neighbors.  It's so easy and delicious it makes a nice neighborhood gift!

EULIPIA KAHLUA CHOCOLATE PECAN TART

4 pie crusts
8 eggs
4 cups sugar
1 cup cornstarch
1 pound butter, melted completely
1 cup Kahlua
4 cups pecans, chopped coarse or fine, as you prefer (I like it medium, myself)
18 oz. chocolate chips

Combine ingredients and mix, then pour into prepared crusts.
Bake @ 350 for 45 minutes, or until top is golden and insides are set.

Enjoy!!!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:dance:  Thanks, Shelli--this actually does look easy! All my favorite ingredients, too.  bear_wub

Eileen

Densteds Densteds
Website

Shelli,
I presume this tart is suitable for all us girls on  low fat diets bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

hugs,
Denise.

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Hahaha, Denise ... that's a good one. bear_grin
Thanks for sharing Shelli...it sounds toooo toooo good!
nancy

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

That DOES sound really good Shelli!  You are right, that would really be perfect for the neighbors!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Mmmmm! Mouth is watering!
Off to the grocery store I go!!!

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Wow Shelli,

This sounds scrumptious! Great history too.

My tastebuds thank you for sharing! My hips and butt are crying "No, No, Noooooooo......!"  But, hey, their voting privileges have been suspended until after Christmas! So: Thank You!! I'm adding a few things to my grocery list!

My husband will love this recipe... He only likes two kinds of pie.... warm pie and cold pie. lol bear_laugh

Beary smiles

kerrenmorris K M Bears
UK
Website

Oh Shelli,
my most favorite food is pecan pie, but with chocolate i would be in heaven, ohh yum yum,
hugs Kerren

kerrenmorris K M Bears
UK
Website

Kerren’s version
PECAN PIE
Ingredients
For the sweet pastry:
225g/8oz plain flour
110g/4oz caster sugar    ( I bought ready made pastry   :doh: )
110g/4oz butter
4 egg yolks

For the pecan filling:
3 eggs
110g/4oz sugar
4 tablespoons golden syrup
50g/3oz butter, melted
a pinch of salt
a few drops vanilla extract
210g/ pecan halves
Method
1. Make the pastry by putting all the ingredients into a food processor and whizzing until you get a dough.
2. Remove and place in a plastic bag and put into the fridge for 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Line a 9in/23cm-pie tin with the pastry.
4.Put sugar, butter and golden syrup in a heavy-bottomed pan and melt all ingredients, stir well then leave to cool,
5. Break the eggs in a mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
Put the pecan nuts in the pastry case.
6. Pour the mixture into the pastry case and bake for 10 minutes and then reduce the oven heat to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and bake for another 30 minutes or until the top of the pie is golden. Check if it s cooked through by inserting a knife, it comes out clean if it's done.
7. Turn out of the tin when slightly cooled and serve warm or cold.

Gatehouse Bears Gatehouse Gallery
Lockwood, Victoria, Australia

Oh Shelli, Shelli, Shelli, Thanks, Thanks, Thanks, Yum, Yum, Yum bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Kerren, thankyou for your too...I'll just have to try both bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Sounds good i think we are all going to be shaped like our bears  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

I am responsible for the desserts for our Boxing Day family get together so will most definitely make up this recipe. Thanks for sharing Shelli
Hugs
Gail :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

With the holidays approaching fast, I thought I'd bump this very old thread and give it new life.  I just made this tart, for a girl's weekend with college friends of almost 30 years -- when did I get old enough to be able to say THAT?? -- and they raved.  It's not my recipe so it didn't exactly go to my head, but I was reminded how quick and easy to make, and how incredibly crowd pleasing, this recipe can be.

Hope you also enjoy.  And for those in the US who celebrate, happy early Thanksgiving!!

Geralye Belper, Derbyshire

Oh dear!  Not just one recipe, but two!

Damn, I'll just have to make both - just to test them you understand.

cheers,
G

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Shelli, you don't LOOK a day over 30 - Honest!
How do you do it...? certainly not by eating pies like this! - Oh, right... Evil Plan #1, Serving it to all of your friends instead!!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Bobbie, I look very much over 30.  I just choose my photos carefully, and of course, Photoshop is my plastic surgeon.  bear_original  LOL  Hugs, girlfriend!!

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

Oh my goodness this recipe is dangerous........ and not to be selfish in the season of sharing but I won't be giving any to neighbors ~ partly because I don't have very nice neighbors and partly because even if I did have nice neighbors they wouldn't be getting any of these desserts   bear_tongue

Thanks for the recipe!

Board footer