Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Daphne brought up a good point this morning in an unrelated thread that I thought I might expand upon, as a form of "tidying up the place."

There aren't any hard and fast "rules" about this stuff, and nobody is gonna get his or her hand slapped or anything...

... but, just as a reminder...

The BEARS FOR SALE forum is intended for completed work that is ready for sale RIGHT NOW.  Meaning that if you post there, you should be ready for collector inquiries, have a price in mind, and a venue for selling already wrapped up.  Think of that forum as an online teddy bear store; people really DO come prepared to shop!

The SHOWCASE forum is intended for completed work that is not currently available for sale... for whatever reason (e.g. you're keeping it, it's a gift for someone else, it's a contest entry you're not ready to sell, it's only a prototype, etc.)

The other forums on the board are fine places to post pictures of your work to illustrate a particular point you're making, show off a technique, provide photos to flesh out a description, etc.  However, the other forums were not originally intended to be places where you would introduce your new work.  The original intent was that all new work goes either into the BEARS FOR SALE or SHOWCASE forums... so that it's all in one (okay, two!) place(s), and we bear-crazed folk who want to buy and browse can find it readily.

So... if you're making minis and introducing them on the mini forum, or creating needlefelted pieces and posting them ONLY on the needlefelting forum... you're absolutely not doing anything "wrong."  Tech wizard Quy has seen to it that there's plenty of storage space for your photos, wherever you choose to stick them.

But you are doing something that might result in fewer people viewing your beautiful work, because not everyone can visit every forum every day, and people WILL sidestep some forums for the sake of efficiency and time savings.

Your best bet, if you want your work shopped and admired, is to post for-sale-NOW pieces in BEARS FOR SALE, and finished-but-not-available pieces in SHOWCASE.

Thanks, all!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Thanks so much for your clarification, Shelli!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

<Shelli is a kind-hearted but marginally bossy girl and likes things to be done in an orderly fashion.>

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I'm guilty...I'm terrible about not having my auctions ready for whatever lame reason.  I just get so excited to show them to you all...and of course gets soak up the praise bear_original   I'll be better...promise!!!   bear_grin

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
Shelli wrote:

<Shelli is a kind-hearted but marginally bossy girl and likes things to be done in an orderly fashion.>

We ARE sisters.... perhaps in some other life... but we are!!

Thank you, Shelli! Your eloquence with words is far beyond me! OK, so perhaps we aren't sisters!  :doh:

:hug:  Daphne

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Shelli, you have me dying here!  Sounds just like a Kinndergarten report card!

Though "the teacher" should add....

Shelli has helped our classroom to operate in a way that is agreeable to all the students.  Shelli H. also seems to make friends easily and plays well with the other students.  She is truly a joy to have in class!

:hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Well, what nice things to say.  Thank you!  I am delighted to be reinforced in my anal-retentiveness!

:)

I should amend my kindergarten teacher comment just a little bit, though, when it comes to my claim that I like things orderly. 

I make sacrifices to have a housecleaner come in and do half my house every week -- just one gal, all by her lonesome; poor thing -- and today, like EVERY time she comes, I had to spend an hour cleaning up BEFORE she got here, because my house was such a disastrous nightmare I was embarrassed for the person who comes to clean it, to see how dirty and messy it was. 

Typical.

bear_noexpression

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Shelli,
Thanks for all you do. It is appreciated.
:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

What ever is Shelli going to do with errant, run-with-scissors, and does not follow directions dilu?

I'll be interested to see.......

laughing-smiley-003.gif

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Dilu wrote:

What ever is Shelli going to do with errant, run-with-scissors, and does not follow directions dilu?

Why, embrace her with love and friendship, of course!  Because Shelli is also a very tolerant, live-and-let-live, aren't-our-differences-wonderful?, nobody-is-better-than-anybody-else, liberal and liberated, kind of person.

:hug:

PS  I would advise, however, that you not run with scissors, unless they are the plastic safety variety.  Sorry... can't help myself.

PPS  Good use of the word "errant," which I've yet to insert into my writing.

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Thanks Shelli ! i also love your bears

Hudson, Ohio
Shelli wrote:

PPS  Good use of the word "errant," which I've yet to insert into my writing.

You know what, in everyday conversation, I always compliment people on a "good use of a word."  I love that kind of stuff!  Sometimes people are speaking and they use a fascinating word in a very well thought way, I just HAVE to say something about it!  Some people seem truly complimented by such a remark, and other folks look at me like I've lost my mind! 

The favorite word, at the moment, to use around the Basta household is 'masticate!'  I am constantly having to remind my oldest son (12) to slow down and chew his food properly.  Ridiculous, I know, but the kid eats so fast that he nearly chokes.... Anyway, I say, "Baxter, please chew your food!"  The child looks at me like he has no idea what I am talking about.... "Chewing, do you not know what this means?"  (Me, loosing my patience & showing him the exaturated up and down motion of the lower jaw) "You know.... mastication!"  And now he's turning 6 shades of red!   :redface:   Sometimes interesting word choice is the only way to get my pre-teen to actually listen to what I am saying!  I guess it's now the BIG joke at lunch time though. 

"Hey what's up?"  "Oh, nothing, I'm just masticating!"

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Shelli wrote:

I make sacrifices to have a housecleaner come in and do half my house every week -- just one gal, all by her lonesome; poor thing -- and today, like EVERY time she comes, I had to spend an hour cleaning up BEFORE she got here, because my house was such a disastrous nightmare I was embarrassed for the person who comes to clean it, to see how dirty and messy it was. 

Typical.

:|

HA! DITTO!!!!!

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh Kim I can just imagine the scene  bear_whistle  bear_whistle

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

[quote=WildThyme
... Anyway, I say, "Baxter, please chew your food!"  The child looks at me like he has no idea what I am talking about.... "Chewing, do you not know what this means?"  (Me, loosing my patience & showing him the exaturated up and down motion of the lower jaw) "You know.... mastication!"  And now he's turning 6 shades of red!   :redface:   Sometimes interesting word choice is the only way to get my pre-teen to actually listen to what I am saying!  I guess it's now the BIG joke at lunch time though. 

"Hey what's up?"  "Oh, nothing, I'm just masticating!"

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

HA HA HA HA HA - Kim that is a hoot!!  I LOVE malapropisms!!  Reminds me of the mistake our minister made one time when a couple had gone down to the front at the end of the service to join the church.  Our preacher went on and on about how much thinking this couple had done before deciding to become members and said, "They have been copulating about this for quite some time, and have now decided to join with us . . . blah, blah, blah."  He MEANT to say "cogitating" (I hope).  Paul looked at me and whispered, "Did he just say what I think he did?"  All we had to do was look at the Assistant Pastor to know that HE had understood what was just said . . . he was about to explode!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh funny.....first Kim, I agree....I love words-  read several books a week ( the book clubs love me....as we don't have a really useable library) and I love getting lost in British books because i know they will delight me with new words,

Shelli, my darling, I always use safety scissors, they work so well on ultra suede and mohair.... :doh:

No housekeeper for dilu, don't want my neighbors in my home. ( for you new folks I live in a little town where Methamphetamine is the prime industry, so while I know some of my neighbor ladies do clean houses I just figure it is better not to have them in for tea.)  You know how people talk, especially in a small town.....

I have to say, Shel, that I am impressed that you only have to spend an hour getting ready for the housekeeper.....I would have to spend all day, just putting all the supplies I use on all the various projects away....then the routine clutter....wait that is the routine clutter.....yikes.

I am so grateful the hubster:

a.  makes hardly any mess at all, in the house, his is in the garage....
b.  was raised by a mom who always had 10 projects going at once with the inherent clutter that goes with such a creative mind.....( my excuse  bear_grin )

dilu

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Thank you so much for the clarifications Shelli  :hug:  I'm fairly new to the forum, so I was getting confused on what should go where  bear_wacko  So much so that I haven't dared to post anything  bear_wacko

Sue Ann...I'm afraid I would have burst the decorum for the preacher  :redface:  bear_grin  bear_laugh Did the new couple stay as new members?  Gosh, how would you face the congregation with THAT kind of an intro???  :redface:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

DebbieD wrote:

Sue Ann...I'm afraid I would have burst the decorum for the preacher  :redface:  bear_grin  bear_laugh Did the new couple stay as new members?  Gosh, how would you face the congregation with THAT kind of an intro???  :redface:

Oddly enough, they did!

Hudson, Ohio

That is TOO FUNNY Sue Ann!  I love it~!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Kim, you are soo funny. I just cant imagine a pre-teen choking down his food. Boys eh?? LOL   bear_grin  bear_grin

Sue Ann, I can only imagine the embarrassment the minister must've felt.

I on the other hand, like to use simple words, such as,
I, me, and , the.  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Board footer