Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

I've seen a lot of people talk about using alligator clips instead of straight pins for keeping pieces together before sewing, but I've always used mini binder clip.  Alligator clips grip very firmly, but those tiny teeth can leave marks or damage delicate furs like Sassy.  Binder clips grip firmly, but slide off easily, and I can flick them off with my fingers as I feed parts through my machine.  the reason I'm writing is that I've found some even tinier binder clips, at - of all places - Walmart!  these are 1/2", but, they come in all sizes and I keep a box of each in the studio.  the 2" clips are great for fastening backdrops up, and the other sizes make great clip-on clamps when you need to glue something and don't feel like holding it til it dries.  the clips come in lots of colors and patterns at Staples, but be warned that the brightly colored ones are much stiffer and harder to remove (I think they just paint over black or chrome ones)

anyway, they're at walmart in the office supplies section for under $5 for 75 tiny 1/2" clips or $5.99 for 144 at Staples for the black 5/8ths mini
binder_clips_smaller.jpg

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

I use these all the time too, Kelly, but I never thought of using them to hold my glued pieces for me!  Great idea, thanks.  I generally buy mine online from Amazon.  They also have various sizes and I use them all.

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

yes, amazon & staples both have them also, but the wee ones at walmart are the smallest I've ever seen.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

thank you so much for the tip. I bought alligator clips and felt they were too harsh for my mini fur bears. I think I'll pay a visit to walmart tomorrow.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Oh, the tiny ones are my favourite, although my source is, err, a little closer to where I spend most of my days Monday - Friday...  bear_whistle

Conni Germany

bear_thumb  Good idea! Thank you!

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

Now, Katy, are you saying you "borrow" your clips from the office?!   Is that a "perk"?!!   Thanks for sharing your tip, Kelly!  I use them, too, but never thought of using them to hold a glued piece together so I can move on to other things!   Brilliant!
Hugs,
Janice

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

I couldn't possibly comment Janice, other than that no-one else seems to use them, and, well, I'm afraid they'd feel all abandoned sitting on that shelf  bear_cry   bear_grin

kallie214 Friends "Fur" Life Bears
Gig Harbor, WA.
Website

I would have never thought to have used these for holding together my bear pieces....brilliant! Do you know how much time I spend pinning pieces before I sew?? May need to give this a try!
I do use them for glued pieces at the base of my Little Knuckleheads and they work fantastic. Glue, set and move on to something else!

Bear Hugs,

Kim

Board footer