Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

FrancesAnne Isle of Wight

I'm trying to make a bear with a more natural face.  He's dark brown and I planned to needlefelt his muzzle in a paler colour.  What I'm wondering is how much fur I should remove from the muzzle?  Should I leave a few millimetres of fur or strip it right down to the backing fabric?  This is the most scary stage for me so far!  bear_sad

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I take it down to the backing.   I felt back far into the face, but I do not take that fur off till I get there.  Then I only take it little by little as I need too.

Joanne

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

I have not completed this kind of bear but I would recommend plucking the mohair from the backing with tweezers before felting bear_original Tweezer are great for plucking mohair!

Thank you both very much, Joanne & Gabriele.  I thought a completely bare surface was probably best but once I got to that point I began to doubt my own judgement.  I don't think I have ever put so much thought & planning into any one craft project - I'm generally a 'do it now, think later' kind of crafter.  I drew my own pattern for this bear and now that he's assembled I can see things that I would change next time.  I think this one will be a cross between a real bear and a teddy - unless I mess up his face and then he might be a 'bin bear' !  And now to PLUCK........!!!  bear_original

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

FrancesAnn and Gabriele, you do not have to pluck honestly, just cut down to the fabric.  I have done this for so long and I have never plucked a face before felting.  You can if you want but it would just be extra work.

Joanne

I look forward to seeing your new bear.

I'll confess now that I did just shave the muzzle eventually.  I guess I got a bit impatient at the thought of all that plucking!!  It's going well so far (much better than I expected) and he now has NF muzzle, jowls and chin.  I think I may have overdone the jowls a bit but it's still an interesting face.  I really like the way a face 'evolves' by doing it this way.  Now for the next scary bit  - a nose!

Joanne, I discovered your wonderful Needle Felted Face Tutorial and it has been so-ooooo helpful.  A picture can make up for a thousand words so thank you so much for sharing your amazing skills with us.

Board footer