Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Tatty Bears South Australia

Hi,
    As I may already have mentioned  :crackup: I collect reborn babies, I have 5 and they are all girls.
Now I have started making Teddy Bears ( O.K,  I know I have only may two but I am working on my third)
I am really drawn to making "Boy" bears.

Does anyone else have a preference?

I can't think to why this is but...... I do remember when I was really little I used to think cats were girls and dogs were boys. Ha ha bear_laugh

TinyPixi West Yorkshire

I keep making Boy Bears too!!! ...Don't know why though!! bear_grin

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

It's the same for me! I make a girl about every five or six boys....they come out like that, don't know why...even with my own children I couldn't make a girl, only two boys....I just won't go on until I get to six for the girl! bear_grin

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

It's an interesting question! I know that when I was growing up, most animals, fictional characters, or anything without an obvious gender were called "he" by my mom. Male characters did abound in TV, movies, and fiction (consider the "cast" of the Winnie the Pooh stories), and I think the fact that they were "Teddy" bears might even have played a part early on.

About 1/3 of my bears turn out to be girls, and there's a similar proportion in my collection, so I don't necessarily think of bears as male, but the "boy" factor is still dominant. bear_original

Becky

Kayleigh Bungalow Bears

For me as a little girl, it was girly things all day long.... and to this day in my doll collecting I am always drawn to girl dolls.

Bears on the other hand, its boys boys boys in my collection, same goes for making them too. The majority do tend to have a "boyish" face but it isnt intentional, I just go with it until they call out to me what they are, but I do wish they would look girly every so often.

TinyPixi West Yorkshire

My next bear is getting done in a girly colour.....so maybe it will turn out to be a girl.....But who knows!!  bear_rolleyes

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

I tend to do mostly boy bears myself.  Seems easier for me than girl bears.  I, like Becky, seem to do only 1/3 girls.  I also seem to make more boy dolls than girl dolls!  Guess I just like boys! :crackup:

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Mine are girls, almost always... Maybe once a year or even less I make a boy bear_grin trying to make a couple of boys for Hugglets tho....

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I mostly do boys, too.  For some reason they're easier to name because I can give them unusual names, but I couldn't do that to a girl.  I do tend to think of dolls as girls and plushies as boys, I don't know why.

BFB-Lyn Brimbin Forest Bears
NSW, Australia
Website

bear_thumb The boys rule!! When I was a kid and even now I am not really a girly type person  bear_rolleyes Now and then a girl will pop up but it's pretty rare - girls just don't seem to want to happen for me  bear_grin

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

I always create a pattern based on an image I had in my mind for a character but I never know until it's finished what gender it is. Even pink bears can be boys, so I never know until I'm finished and then the bear tells me. They also usually tell me what name they want too lol, I usually have a name picked out however the bears tend to change my ideas and give their own name ha ha. I have the idea but they always become what they want to become.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Karen I think I have seen one boy bear from you, the rest are just sweet adorable little girls.  Most of mine turn out to be boys, but once in awhile a girl shows up.

Hugs

Shane

BeauT Bears BeauT Bears
Rotterdam

Madoc-DSCF0047.JPGMy bears usually decide themselves what gender they turn out to be. I once made a pink bear, which I thought was going to be a girl, but eventually turned out to be a boy. Here's a picture of Madoc, my pink boy bear.  Oops, sorry, I hadn't realized the size of this pic. Madoc is only 25 cm / 10".

Board footer