Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Ev Calgary, Alberta

Hi everyone!!! I came across a thread  a while back which included a few posts about glasses. It had to do with having glasses made which were like bifocals but the lower lens was simply a magnifying lens and the top a regular one so you could see to watch tv, walk, etc.  This sounded like the perfect solution for me but I am not sure what I am asking my opthamologist for? If anyone could point me towards the post I would appreciate it. Thanks, Ev

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub Nowadays you can purchase these magnifying glassed in drug stores or small department stores.  You can purchase what is a half glass that you can only see like bifocals and look over the top for regular viewing. Check those stores out first before contacting your eye doctor.
Hope this helps
Hugs Pat bear_flower

Ev Calgary, Alberta

Hi Pat, Thanks for answering. I do have those and I believe they go up to 3.25 times magnification. The post I was reading was about glasses especially made by an eye doctor and I was hoping I could get way stronger ones. If all else fails, I will just explain what I can remember and hope she can puzzle it out. Hugs, Ev

thondra rosenheim / bayern
Website

ev, do not get them to strong
i got a lamp with amagnification glass of 8 dioptries (dont know the english word for it)
and it is MUCH to strong, you can see just about 1 square cm sharp and everything else allready blurrs.

Geralye Belper, Derbyshire

I need glasses for distance (or wear my contacts), and use reading glasses for sewing, reading and any other close work.

I asked my optician for bifocals with a distance bit at the top so I can see the television, and reading glasses at the bottom so I can sew.

I had some old frames (not the most flattering I have to admit!), and she put the new lenses into the old frames so they were not to expensive.  Now I can comfortably sew while watching television.

cheers,
G

Ev Calgary, Alberta

Hi all, thanks for all of the information. I did try a magnifying glass that sits in front of me and it was too strong. You only have a really small working area so yes, too strong won't work. My husband, Phil, brought home several different strengths of glasses (the ones from the drug store) and I am going to give them a try and see what happens. When I next go to the eye doctor I will just ask her what she suggests. The progressive lenses that I normally wear don't help much at all. I changed from bifocals hoping it would be better but I don't think it worked. It seems I am always out of focus. LOL!! Happy today, Ev

vicky Posts: 13

I used to work for a dental lab and we used what was called loops. They come in many different strengths and are very cheep. You can get them on ebay for probably $5.00 to $10.00. They work fantastic for small work, I use mine all the time they are a .7 and that is about perfect for fine work. You can get them as clip ons for glasses or slip on for a non glasses wearing person ( these are more expensive though) And when you don't need them they just flip up or when you need them they just flip down.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Ev: I posted a while back that I had my ophthalmologist make me a pair of glasses so that I could watch tv through the upper part of the lens and on the lower half, look down to magnify my hand stitching. I was not concerned about style so I got a bigger eyeglass frame so there was plenty of room for both. I found that my bifocals (the reading part) was awful to see my tiny stitches, so I wanted magnification on the lower half. I hated having to take my glasses off and on to watch tv while I was sewing. I will PM you for more details.

Michelle

Board footer