Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Has anyone made a bear with a beard or a mustache?

How did it look? How did you do it? and have you got any pictures?

I'm trying to decide whether my new creation could do with a beard or not (I promise there's a logical explanation) but I've no idea how it would look. Maybe there is some way of making a detachable beard?

He's a very traditional looking bear.  bear_ermm

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

P.s. I couldn't cut a mustache into his fur I don't think as the pile is very long and I want his potential beard a different colour to his fur....

cobblestonecreations Cobblestone Creations
Maine
Website

I've been thinking about doing mustaches too ~ toying with the idea of using the rooting technique that is used to apply hair to dolls ~ or perhaps needle felting?  Lots of things to explore.   bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Julia, I would think that the long mohair would be a great asset to creating a beard.  A bit of scissor sculpting and applying a different color to the 'beard' would be a natural.  You could use an airbrush, prismacolor markers, paint, or whatever to make the color change.

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

I need the beard much longer than the bears fur - I was maybe thinking of trying to root long mohair into his face (i'd need black) or artificial hair which I'm going to need to help make an altered wig for the bear.

Ok, So I guess now maybe I sound like a loony  bear_ermm I promise there is method in my madness!

I'd just prefer a more removeable option really incase I don't like the beard.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Julia: You may think about making the beard part of the pattern pieces. Meaning take the side of the head and cut part of the nose to chin off. depending on how much of a beard you want will dictate how much or the side of the face you cut. make sure you add back the seam allowance to the two pieces. So the nose part of the pattern will be your long fur for your beard. It is sewn to the other part of the head which will be your shorter fur. You will keep the guseset the same as the shorter fur. I hope I explained it o.k.

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

That would be a great idea Michelle thank you! But Bear head is already made. I suppose I could use the pattern to create a beard to go over his face. Hmmm. I'm still not sure whether a beardy bear would look ok or not. I think i'm going to carry on with the project (there's tons of work to do) and decide once he's dressed and his wig is done... bear_grin

I would still like to see any bears with beards out there....

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Santa-Bear.jpg

I made this Santa bear several years ago.  I needlefelted the beard first into shape then needlefelted it into his face.

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Santa-face.jpg
This beard I made with curly kid mohair and stitched onto his face

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Thanks Laura Lynn! That looks quite cool  bear_laugh   Here's Bear...

P6260045.jpg

Minus beard of course...

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Thank you Julia!  Bear is quite handsome!   bear_wub

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

100_1476.jpg

This is the way I make a small beard...

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Lenora, that was a big ol' bear because I was even able to see a shape pop up on my screen.  It was just a blur, but I think that's due more to my bad eyesight than your picture taking.  Do you think you can show me how to upload to Photobucket?

ArtHeart Kran-Beary's
Thunder Bay ON Canada

Dar2.jpgI've used long strands of straight or curly raw mohair and needle felted the individual bits into place.

bearlady13 Posts: 177

new-bear-009.jpgThis is my first try at needle felting a beard and eyebrows. I hope to improve as I learn.

DDar Posts: 11
Website

Wouldn't sewing a patch of fluffier furry material into the specific area of the mustache also work?

eddybare eddybare
cape town
Website

All you need to do is pluck out  individual strands of alpaca or mohair ( in the length desired)  from scrap fabric,  and then individually root them into the area you want the beard or mustache. It takes lots of time but the effect is fantastic.

Geralye Belper, Derbyshire

For my Christmas swap ornament, I made the side muzzle pieces from a different coloured, long pile mohair, the trimmed around the mouth.

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=43725

He's about half way up the tree, on the right hand side - with a dark red hat and ruffle.

cheers,
G

Board footer