Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Gray-bear-047-332x400.jpgMy first faux fur in 20 years.  I used Tyber from Belgium, and I love it.  He is about 9" tall.  He has a lockline spine so he can move all over the place.  Arms and legs are wired.  Felted face and nose with the fur rooted into the felt and trimmed.  Leather paws, epoxy claws.

I have him on ebay now.  It has been so long since I have had a bear for sale there.  It took me a long time to prepare for the show in March.

Here is a link to his auction.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/OOAK-Artist-Rea … 0449027362

Note for some reason there is a problem viewing it in Explorer.  It has something to do with the picture color.  Something that ebay has never seen before, so sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.  If you have Firefox, no problem there.

Joanne

thondra rosenheim / bayern
Website

he looks diffrent to you bears
and still the same to your bears bear_laugh it is so much a desertmountain bear bear_original
i love him bear_original

nettie scotland
Website

aw love him x

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Fantastic bear ! :clap:

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

As lovely as ever! bear_wub

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

He is wonderful, Joanne!  bear_wub

Bloomsburg, PA

Thank you for the kind comments.  I like him very much too. :)

Joanne

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Joanne, he's just wonderful, like all your bears  bear_wub

Brenda x

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

He looks like a real baby bear cub.  So cute!

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

bear_wub adorable Joanne!  Love him!!!

Alena Kudashova Tolyatti
Website

Joanne, bear_flower excellent, painstaking work! A wonderful bear, my congratulations to you! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

bearsofbath Bears Of Bath
Bath, UK
Website

Vernon is absolutely adorable Joanne, a fabulous bear bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

Great job as usual, Joanne.  The faux fur looks great!  Nice face with the needle felting and fur rooted back in - must be more difficult with faux than mohair!

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

He is wonderful: realistic and yet sooo cute!   bear_wub

Have you seen the bidding on e-bay (with still 4 days to go)?   Yikes! Good for you Joanne  bear_thumb , but a bit over my budget!  bear_sad

Bloomsburg, PA

Yes Peter, it seems someone wants him badly.  He must have pulled at their heartstrings.  Ebay is always a risk, but I do love it so.

Joanne

Thank you all so much for your kind comments.  People are always very nice here on TT.  I really appreciate it.

Bloomsburg, PA
tcfolk wrote:

Great job as usual, Joanne.  The faux fur looks great!  Nice face with the needle felting and fur rooted back in - must be more difficult with faux than mohair!

Thanks Thelma, yes it was harder with the faux fur.  Once I changed needle sizes it worked well.  I usually use a #40 fine, I had to go to a medium, I think a #38.  That would make sense since the individual hairs are thicker than mohair.

Joanne

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Joanne, your work and detail never cease to amaze me. You even wash the wool yourself. I love that you root fur back into the felted muzzle and that the fur itself can shade and color the face. This one turned out so very beautifully. I would love to see a finished one in person someday.

bearlady13 Posts: 177

Lovely face great job.

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

Thanks Thelma, yes it was harder with the faux fur.  Once I changed needle sizes it worked well.  I usually use a #40 fine, I had to go to a medium, I think a #38.  That would make sense since the individual hairs are thicker than mohair.

I tried pulling some of the faux fur I was working with out of the backing and I had a hard time getting it to come out at the root, just little short broken pieces.  But I keep trying with the different types of faux I have!  Obviously some work better than others!!!  I like the way it works with mohair much better.  I will try the larger needle too.  thx!  tc

Conni Germany

bear_wub Wonderful! He is a dream!

LisaAP Arcas designs
Website

Beautiful, beautiful bear!  bear_wub   Oh my, I so wish that I could afford him.  I love the range of photos that you've taken too, he looks great in every single one.

Regards

Lisa

pittapatta Cape Town

Another work of art, like all the others!    I don't know what the bidding is at now, and I wouldn't be able to afford it with the exchange rate in any event, but all the best of luck, Joanne, and I do hope he goes to the right one!   I know what you mean about e-bay, we have a similar one here, and I also love it, but it IS a huge risk to sell through.  Mostly I just buy, I love the bidding!
I don't know what a lockline spine is though, or the wiring   :redface: please explain to the novice?

Bloomsburg, PA

Thank you all very much for the kind comments.  They are so so appreciated.

pittapatta, I have wire in his arms and legs so that they bend.  I know you are going through our library and you will see much more there.  Lockline is a flexible plastic hose, (yes hose of all things.)  It moves and bends up and down, side to side. 

If you visit my blog up near the top in the navigation bar I keep sections called materials used and techniques.  There are pictures there.
Also on my blog I keep tutorials on more advanced bear making stuff like lockline and wiring limbs.  You can find those on the left hand side bar. 

Joanne

Bloomsburg, PA
tcfolk wrote:

I tried pulling some of the faux fur I was working with out of the backing and I had a hard time getting it to come out at the root, just little short broken pieces.  But I keep trying with the different types of faux I have!  Obviously some work better than others!!!  I like the way it works with mohair much better.  I will try the larger needle too.  thx!  tc

This fur has a woven backing.  I have not used the knitted back faux for just that reason, I was afraid I would not be able to get the fur out of the backing.  You need to get the whole strand, you know.  With fur, it unravels just like mohair.  If you are trying with knitted back, see if you can unravel the knitting to release the fur.

Joanne

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

Thanks Joanne, I don't use knitted backed fur either!  It stretches and the backing is generally crooked.  Maybe I was just a little too aggressive!!!  This was a very fine fur with a mink like appearance.  At any rate, you seem to have mastered the faux fur perfectly and I will keep practicing!   bear_smile  tc

Board footer