Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

In the past I had some mohair that had a sticky or tacky backing.  After you touched it you needed to go wash your hands.  I solved that problem by washing the fabric.  I now have several pieces of faux fur that has the same sticky backing.  Faux fur can not be washed so I am wondering if there is anyway to get the tacky off without ruining the pieces.  There are a couple of pieces where the sticky is on the pile from where it touched the sticky backing.  I'm thinking of taking a small piece and see if I can spray  it with vinegar then try to wipe it or brush it.  Anyone out there have the same problem and found a solution?  I did look in the library to see if I could find a thread but no luck, so if you are going to suggest I check the library please point me in the right direction.
Thanks for your help.
Donna

daria_cher Minimishki
Moscow

Hi Donna,

I'm sorry I don't have any experience with this, but I was just thinking that maybe you could iron on some of that fusible interfacing fabric that is used to stop fraying (I can't for the love of me remember what it's called)? Would that make any difference?

All the best,
Daria

Burbank, CA

Hi Daria,
Thank you for the suggestion.  I did try that and it got the fabric sewn with much fussing over.  What I found was that the sticky stuff built up on the sewing machine needle.  So I was constantly having to stop and clean the needle with alcohol.  I was worried about getting it into the workings of the machine so I stopped and finished it by hand which I hate sewing by hand. 
Thank you for trying--greatly appreciated,
Donna

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I have experienced that..I found it was sticky under the sewing machine. I would think that lining Would be the quickest way. I wonder if there is a solvent that might work? I would like to know what the stickiness is actually. I wonder if it is old fabric as mine seemed to be ..it made the pile a bit claggy and lumpy. I didn't not like this aspect. I would not uby from that company again because of that.

Burbank, CA

Jenny,
I have heard other artists think that the fabric might be old stock which caused the backing to go tacky.  I assumed it was something that went wrong in the manufacturing process since what I was dealing with was ordered straight from the factory and had not been sitting around in another artists stash.  Now I am thinking that just because I ordered it straight from the factory that does not mean it has not been sitting at the factory for awhile.  I just need to take the time and see if there is something I can do to get the sticky off since there have been several artists that have encountered this problem. 
Thanks for your comment.
Donna

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Donna,
If you look in the archives, this has come up before. Here's my question back in 2010 ~
Has anyone had this problem? I have some really beautiful 918 Edinburgh faux fur from several years ago. Apparently some stabilizing spray was used on the backing and over the years it has softened and become sticky. I can't sew it on my sewing machine. IT doesn't seem to be affected by soap and water and I fear whatever will take off the backing will, also, damage the fabric? Any ideas? Anyone else have this problem with other fabrics?
Karen
I have talked to Edinburgh over the last couple of years and there seems to be no solution. The Tyber faux fur company was bought out by Tissavel and Edinburgh says that one company makes the fur and the other company is responsible for the finishing and they won't admit to the problem and they won't give any solution. I've tried just about everything to remove the stickiness. THis is very expensive fur. Yes, you can definitely wash synthetic fur even with very hot water and soap, but that won't help. IT is a big problem and you have to be very careful when buying expensive faux fur, always get a sample before you purchase and check the backing carefully.
Karen

Burbank, CA

Karen,
The fabric I have had my trouble with is from the Schulte mill.  So far I have never had any problem with Tyber or Tissavel backing.  This was the first I have heard of one doing the backing.   To me that does not make sense since Tyber is in Belgium and the Tissavel factory was in France that they would be shipping the fabric from one factory to another to complete the processing.  Especially since they are dealing with such large amounts.
Thanks for telling me that washing it in hot soapy water won't work.  That was going to be my next adventure.  I guess I have nothing to loose by trying vinegar and see if that has any impact on it.
While I was typing I thought of someone I know that used to work at one of the mills.  Might get some insight there.  If I learn anything I'll be sure to post.
Thanks for your input.
Donna

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

The fabric I had came from Dear Bears and was Tissavel. It was sooo hard to work with and I thought it affected the pile. I thought the pile looked clumpy too.
I read that liquid paraffin can remove sticky residue. I had forgotten that I used to use it on photographic paper when I used to hand retouch photos years ago..it did remove the stickiness and the you just wipe any residue of that away.
Just wondering if that might work followed by soapy water on the backing.

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

I've no advice for the sticky backing on the fabric other than to line it, but I do keep a spray can of Prestone silicone lubricant (from the automotive dept) next to my sewing machine.  when I'm working with stickier backings or leather, I spray a paper towel with silicone and run it through the machine a few times before I sew.  it makes a big difference.  it also helps if you're using fray-check on your edges.

I have noticed the gunky backing on Tyber before - esp the shorter stuff - and hate sewing with it for that reason.  it also has a more loosely woven backing and I've had problems with seams shredding loose while stuffing (or overstuffing, I guess)  I've also noticed coated backings on Schulte, esp the sparser stuff, but I've got nothing but praise for Tissavel to date, and have never found a Tissavel fur with a coated back.

Burbank, CA

I heard from my source that worked in one of the mills.  The response was "Once the backing has been done wrong, it is nearly impossible to correct".  It was suggested that if it wasn't too sticky to rub baby powder into the backing.  I think I may still play around with trying to remove it. 
Donna

Board footer