Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Dawn J Hugs Unlimited
West Yorkshire
Website

Hi

Some brilliant artists have donated and made special bears to help the real bears in Romania. In less than 8 weeks, I along with my husband Chris will be walking 50 miles over the Carpathian mountains in Romania to raise funds for bears that have been cruelly treated in ways that I cannot even bring myself to talk about.  Some of the bears have no claws or teeth, others are blind. All due to what people have done to them.  :cry::cry:

Thankfully, there are wonderful people in this world who disagree with the ill treatment of animals and who have set up a wonderful sanctuary for these animals to live out their lives in peace, happiness and safety. However, these rescues come at a price, vet bills, food, and upkeep is expensive. That is why the Bear Trek takes place to raise funds for these lovely animals. It is not a holiday, accommodation and food is basic, and I was never built to climb mountains! I have done the trek twice before and I can honestly say that the trekking is hard and for me, and not particularly enjoyable especially going uphill! At 56 I should probably be cruising towards retirement, but that's not my style.  :lol:

Fund-raising this year has been particularly difficult, the town I live in was devastated by floods a few weeks ago. Many people lost all their belongings and some of them their homes. Insurance is patchy or non-existant for many mainly because of high excesses and premiums. Therefore, we have had to cancel all our plans for local fund-raising. It is a small town and it seems unfair of us to try and compete with the many fund-raisers that are going on for flood victims.

I have spoken to WSPA about this, and asked if we could postpone the trek until next year to enable us to raise the funds. However, because less people are doing the trek this year us pulling out would have meant the trek being cancelled altogther. However, WSPA have given us more time to raise funds, so we can carry on fund-raising beyond the original cut off date of the end of July.

There are still loads of wonderful bears for sale on our website: www.teddybearsforwspa.co.uk and if you would like to make a direct donation our fund-raising page is www.justgiving.com/dawnandchris2012

A huge thanks to those artists, shops and manufacturers who have donated bears for our event and to the collectors who have already bought a bear, but we do need more help, so this is an appeal to the bear world for help in getting to our target.

Huge Hugs

Dawn

Board footer