Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Pipa UK

okies.. anyone got any pointers on designing a bird pattern? i've drawn a dove sketch on paper. marked out what pattern pieces i need etc. my wing pattern piece is all drawn and cut out. the side body part pattern piece is drawn. my question is do you think i need 4 body part pattern pieces or just 3 ??

the last bird (and only bird) i made had 3 body pieces. 2 sides and an underbody gusset..but i'm thinking i might need 2 sides a gusset down the top/back of the bird and a gusset underneath?

argh help anyone know what they are doing with birds? hehe any pointers would be greatly recieved, i've just ordered some white UV which i am going to make this bird out of but since it's not here i can't cut it out and give it a go and make the pattern up as i go along so for now i am trying to get my pattern pretty spot on as much as you can without cutting up the fabric !

i reallyyy want this dove to be mega special, so i need to get this design as perfectly looking like a dove as possible it's real improtant to me  bear_noexpression

bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hiya, Pipa . . . don't know how close you want your dove to look like my roosters, but I do have two side pieces that join together at the center of the back, one front gusset and one back gusset.  I will get back to you later with a drawing if you'd like, but am up to my eyeballs right now.  Later . . .

Pipa UK

Thanks Sueann a drawing would be great  once you have the idea of how the pattern pieces go it's easy to draw one to fit the dove. i've got his side pieces done. just need to know wether 2 gussets would work best for the body bear_original , i think 2 sides and a gusset down the back and down the tummy would make it look better and plumper, i planned on adding it's tail as an extra piece same with the wings and the beak. haven't even thought about the feet yet !! but the dove wouldn't really need feet so that's not my worry,

if only i had my fabric i will be dying now for it to arrive so i can get started on creating the thing. i've got a few months to create it but it will take me that long to get it perfect,

i want to do some shading on the wings aswell so i need to cut out lots of practice wings and practice getting that right, and as it's white fabric i guess i need a subtle cream or pale grey for the shading or something

oh my.. i really have ALOT to think about bear_sad

Pipa UK

Sueann  - i've got my pattern pieces sorted, i have made a template bird out of ultrasuede and the pieces i designed work great so far. !! bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Great, Pipa . . . of course, we want to see photos when you get it done!  bear_flower   bear_flower

Pipa UK

i will certainly post some when it's finished. I'm just waiting for the Wihte UV to be posted/delivered then i can get cracking on it, I'm also waiting for some white feathers to be delivered too so I'm all set to go when the stuff arrives bear_original

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

What does UV mean?....Winney

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Upholstery Velvet

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

marie Debonaire Bears
Virginia, USA

I've never made a bird, but I really want to sometime.  I can't wait to see your dove!

Pipa UK

i will post a pic when he's finished Marie, bear_original the White UV i need is coming form America so it might take a couple of weeks before i get a piccie posted but i wont forget i promise bear_original

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Ohhhhhhhhhh..... Winney

Board footer