Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Pipa UK

Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone can tell me what exactly is "Button Thread" ? i need to do some string jointing and the instructions say use button thread.. i don't think i have any of this so is there any other type of thread i can use instead ??

Nylon. Gutterman

pleasee help someone.

bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Perhaps it's the buttonhole twist thread, or thread for crafts and sewing on buttons.  The label on the
thread says "extra strong" for handsewing.  You'll find it in the thread section of your fabric store, usually with the upholstery threads.  Do you have some artificial sinew?

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Hi Pipa, you can use any strong non-stretchy thread such as upholstery thread, dental floss or whatever you use for pulling in eyes. Double it for extra security.

Hope this helps

Sabine

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

From my experience with thread here in the US of A.... Button Thread is a semi strong, kinda thick thread... usually a poly cotton blend.  Upholstrey thread is MUCH stronger, a bit thinner, and 100% nylon.  If you have any of that, it should substitute well for string jointing.  Now, I do know that Gutterman makes a thick, strong thread, but the name escapes me at the moment (I do love their threads for hand sewing though!)  Does that help?

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Pipa UK

ohh thanks for your quick reply sueAnn, i really appreciate it bear_original i'm working on this little cutie and i'm dying to finish it tonight lol

nope no sinew bear_sad i only have machine sewing thread .. gutterman polyester thread..invisible thread..quilting thread.. extra strong double bonded nylon (which i use for insrerting the eyes so do you think that would do ?? the bear isn't going anywhere it's staying with me so i wonder if that would work ??

goodness i have every thread going except button thread lol

Pipa UK

Thanks Sabine & Kim.. i do have double bonded nylon which i use for eyes and is strong  which i could try,  bear_grin   bear_grin  i feel better already i was panicking about what to use..  bear_flower   bear_wub   bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

If you use the extra strong double bonded nylon for inserting eyes, then I think it would certainly be strong enough for your joints!  Have fun!

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Use the bonded nylon. I use either that or some really strong twisted thread from Germany, for which I don't know the English term. Here in Sweden there is also a thread called bear thread, which is very strong. Pull as hard as you can on a piece of thread between your hands and if it doesn't break it should be ok. I'd wax it to make it less slippery. That way you can tie the knot without having the joint come loose.

Sabine

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

I agree with SueAnn!  If it's strong enough for eyes, it'll be strong enough for string jointing!  And remember, we wanna see!

Beary truly yours,
Kim basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Pipa UK

:hug:   :hug:   :hug:

THANKYOU EVERYONE.. you girls (and boys) are just THE BEST people ! you always have the answers to the questions on this board  bear_wub  and i will  certainly post a pic when it's finished.  bear_thumb

:hug:   :hug:   :hug:    :hug:    :hug:   :hug:

Board footer