Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

katy Posts: 5

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know what this bear is called so I can try to find it on eBay or something? I know it was purchased around 1975 in Sears and was filled with beans or beads. I am hoping to replace it for a family member. Thanks in advance!

1342836192_onlybear.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

That bear looks kind of familiar...Maybe someone will know. Is that a little red tongue sticking out of the bear's mouth?

Becky

Thank you for the reply!  Yes, it's a little red tongue.  I was told the teddy was actually more likely purchased in 1973 if that helps any.  Maybe a foot tall?  I apologize that the image quality isn't that good.

I do hope I find some luck on this board.  I've been researching every way possible online and haven't been able to find anything even close.

Thanks again!

bear_original

Teddy Bear's Caretaker Posts: 3

See if you can find an old Sears catalog, preferably the Christmas Wish Book, from your desired time period on eBay.

Some major research libraries also have the catalogs on microfilm. Worth a look, if you are serious.

http://www.searsarchives.com/catalogs/q … talogs.htm

bear_original

Thank you very much for the lead!  Definitely very interested in identifying/replacing this bear.  Looks like a day trip to one of these libraries for some research bear_original  Thanks again!

Just saw this website and wanted to pass it along (has these catalogs scanned so you can view them!): http://www.wishbookweb.com/    bear_grin

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

He looks a bit like a Winnie the Pooh bear.

Teddy Bear's Caretaker Posts: 3
katy wrote:

Thank you very much for the lead!  Definitely very interested in identifying/replacing this bear.  Looks like a day trip to one of these libraries for some research bear_original  Thanks again!

Just make sure you phone the library to confirm it has the microfilm in its collections (and for the dates you need) before traveling there. Sometimes libraries deaccession little-used collections.

:thumbsup:

edie wrote:

He looks a bit like a Winnie the Pooh bear.

The last poster may be on to something: the bear does look like Winnie the Pooh - as depicted in the A.A. Milne books minus the red shirt.

I appreciate the insight everyone!  Yeah the more I looked at it and compared, the head does look a lot more like Winnie's.  Can't seem to find one without the red shirt, and it wouldn't have been removed yet since this is when he got it on Christmas Day. 

I was told the limbs didn't move (thought I had found it in the 1972 Sears catalog, but that and the shape of the head made it not the right teddy he said). 

Looking at those catalogs is definitely a great idea, along with calling the library ahead of time :)

So grateful for this board!

Board footer