Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

susan6710 Posts: 4

This is My grandmother In laws teddy bear, She thinks that it may be a steiff bear & Says she remembers removing the button/Tag when she was younger, It was her mothers and passed down to her and looks Very old. It has Button Eyes, All the Joints are moveable, The Palms of the paws are different material then the rest of the bear and the stuffing seems to be "Crunchy"  I have looked all over the internet and have not been able to find any that look like this. Any info would be greatly Appreciated!1346400695_083012223839_2.jpg1346400713_083012224941_2.jpg1346400728_083012225008_2.jpg1346400744_083012225030_2.jpg1346400763_083012225039_2.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

It's not a Steiff bear, but it does look old (1920s or 1930s). The paw pads were probably all wool felt when new, but have be re-covered with another fabric.

He looks to me like an American "stick bear." Bears of this type were made by many manufacturers. (Do you live in North America?) That's just my impression, and with many of his original details gone (eyes, nose stitching), it might be hard to determine.

Becky

Thanks I didnt think it was, From what I saw of Steiff bears their paws "Feet are Bigger" Yes I do live in North America

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Yes, Steiff bears have quite a different form.

It's funny, my dad has a similar bear to this one from the early 30s. It's gold, and not quite as "well-loved" as yours, and he swears he remembers it having a button in its ear at one time. It's most definitely not a Steiff, but maybe some of the American manufacturers added an ear tag of some sort? Steiff bears were very well thought of, after all. (Steiff never did manage to copyright having a button in the ear, but they did trademark the phrase - knopf im ohr - "button in ear" bear_original )

Becky

Thanks for the info It helped alot I googled 1930s American Stick bears and found on that Looks alot like it, Still Havnt been able to find a maker.

Susan

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Glad it was helpful!

This is from a reference book: "...these bears were produced for the masses by many small, now-forgotten stuffed-toy factories. Unfortunately, these companies did not attach labels to their products." Pauline Cockrill

At the end of the day, this bear has loads of character, and the fact that it was "repaired" (by her mom, no doubt) shows how much the bear mattered to your grandma.

Becky

P.S. Here's a photo of my American stick bear from the same era.

1346452678_am1.jpg

Board footer