Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

iloveteddys Posts: 15

So I came across a vintage bear with matted fur and begin to brush with a doll comb. He had hard pieces of glue like things stuck to his fur. After two brushings he had a lot of fuzz come out in the brush. Is this normal? Maybe I should have been more gentle, but I thought it made him a lot softer. Now I don't know if I should have brushed him, I guess I'm being silly. What do you guys use for brushing bears? Ever had a dilemma like this? Ever felt like you messed up a bear while cleaning it? Or am I just being real silly?  bear_tongue

Us Bears Pennsylvania

First, don't use a comb on plush.  Use a soft brush like one use for brushing a baby's hair.  It's best if it's never been used to brush a human.  Get a new one from the store and designate it as the bear brush.

Build-A-Bear Workshop sells bear brushes.  They are only $3.00 apiece.  At that price, you could buy two and still have enough money left over to take your Bear out for ice cream.  ;)

Yes, you might see a little fur come off in the brush but you shouldn't see a lot.  There are always a few loose hairs left over from the manufacturing process.  A few of them are bound to come out.  Just brush gently with short strokes.  If too much fur comes out, stop.

You could also use a hair dryer on the "cool" setting to fluff your Bears.  That's good for getting dust out of their fur.  Then, gently brush their fur back down until it's neat.

When you have a lot of Bears to take care of, there's the vacuum cleaner!
Take a cardboard tube, like the core from a roll of bathroom tissue, and fasten a piece of cheese cloth over one end using a rubber band.  Place this assembly over the end of the vacuum hose.

First, the cheese cloth will prevent any of the Bear's ribbons or decorations from being sucked up in the vacuum cleaner.  Second, if the vacuum is too strong, you can adjust it by punching holes in the cardboard tube to let in some "bypass air."

If a Bear's fur is matted or has junk stuck in it, it's best NOT to brush him.
Use clean water and a Q-Tip or a sponge to gently remove the foreign material.  Don't soak the Bear!  Just use a damp sponge.  Gently, carefully dab and clean JUST the sticky spots lest you cause the foreign material to spread.

Once you have the gummy stuff out of the way, you might want to give the Bear a bath.  Again, B.A.B.W. has the product.  Follow the directions and SURFACE WASH, gently with a sponge or cloth.  Let the Bear dry then fluff and brush.

If the Bear is vintage or is made from mohair, you might be better off leaving him be.  Sometimes it's better to leave a Bear a little bit disheveled than to damage him.  Teddy Bear collectors will accept a certain amount of wear from being loved.

To a Teddy Bear, being "love worn" is a badge of honor!  In that case, it's better to leave him as-is.

Board footer