Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

bear_original Question – what kind of joints do you gals prefer?  How about head joints?  I am using cotter pins but after turning them for the joints, my fingers go numb!  AHHH!!!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Kim!

I'm supposed to stay off the computer in the afternoons bear_grin so I'll be real quick here...

For my small bears, I like cotterpins.  For my bears 8" and larger I like bolt and locknuts.  I'll often even then use cotterpins in my neck joints so I can pose the head easier... but sometimes I'll use a bolt.  I've started supergluing the bolt and washer to the discs so I can close up the limbs and still use the locknuts. 

For cotterpins, I do find it easier to make a "crown joint" instead of curling it - and I do this with my needlenosed pliers.  Here's a GREAT webpage about teddy bear joints:

http://www.teddybearshug.com/tips_stuffing.html

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

THANKS!!! bear_laugh:D:D

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I use stop-nuts/bolts type joints, mostly.  The ONLY time I don't use them is when I make a wobble head bear.  Then, of course, I will do the cotter pin thingy with the head joint.  For a nut/bolt head joint, I sew all the seams for the head except the neck area, then sew a running stitch around the neck edge.  To make sure the bolt won't turn in the disk of the head, I glue it in with a really STRONG glue and let it dry thoroughly.  Then you can draw the thread up around the bolted disk and you're ready to attach the head to the body!  I have a bolt gluing sessions where I make up a bunch of different sized disks with the bolts . . . then when I make a bear, I already have the head disk ready to go.  I don't do cotter pins because I never could get them tight enough and it was REALLY hard on my arthritic hands.  bear_sad

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Laura, thanks for the 'tips' page.  I esp. liked the advice on adding ultrasuede reinforcements to your joints, and their method of ensuring even placement of limbs. bear_original

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

I echo what everyone says.  I usually make bears about 6" and unfortunatly the bolts meet in a bear that size. 

I have learnt to get my cotterpins nice and tight. Infact, the man at the bear shop who I sold some bears to, actually thought they were nut and bolt jointed because they were nice and tight - yay!

Danni

Board footer