Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Bueno Posts: 2

Hi, Im Cathy. This is my first post. What a fantastic site this is, I wish I found it sooner. Ive been trolling the internet for weeks to try and identify this bear I found in my grand dads loft. Any help would be greatly appreciated from you guys. He is about 26/27 inches tall when standing with movable joints and head. thanks in advance. Cathy.1347380868_teddy2.jpg1347380910_teddy1.jpg1347381001_teddy3.jpg

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

I wouldn't venture to guess exactly what make he is, but he looks like a  mid-century English bear.....are his pawpads leather?

Bueno Posts: 2

Hi Blackmoonbear, thanks for your fast response. No his paws are not leather but maybe a velvet type material. He has a working growler if that helps. Thanks again

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

The way his nose is stitched is rather distinctive.....I'm wanting to say merrythought, but lemme go through some of my old bear books and see if I can confirm it.

EDIT:  yup, I'll place my bet on Merrythought, and I'd say he's post WWII, early 60's at the latest.

In any case he's a remarkable find, he's in terrific condition, I really like the crazed look of his paws- they show his age nicely without actually looking worn out. Lucky you  ^.^

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

That's a very big bear, with ears to match! bear_grin

Certain features are similar to Chad Valley and Merrythought, but maybe more likely is that the maker is now unknown. (Many manufacturers came and went, and many bears didn't com with labels.)

If you want to know for sure, here's the place to have it appraised: http://www.bearsandbuds.com/KenYenke-Ar … gazine.asp

Becky

Board footer