Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Can some of you share how you weigh down your mini teddy bears? Do you sew a little pouch and put it in the belly with the steel pellets or glass sand, or do you put them loose at the bottom of the belly? Is there strategy in where you put the weights? Can anybody help?

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I use tiny glass pellets or ss pellets in the feet and tummy.   I do not sew a pouch so I can adjust where they go.  When I'm weighting my bears, I check to see if they can stand.  If they tip forwards or back - then I adjust the weight bear_original

karenaus Melbourne
Website

I use Stainless steel shot in the feet and tummy of my tiniest minis, and the finest glass beads in the feet and tummies of my bigger minis.... Like Laura Lynn, I don't make pouches either- I don't think that you'd get enough beads in if they were in a pouch?

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

I make a little muslin pouch and put it in the tummy.  My smallest bears are about 2 1/2" though.  The stainless shot is very tiny.  Laura Lynn and Karen, do you have any problems with the shot working its way through the fabric or seams if it's not contained?  Do you put in some stuffing first so the shot's not right up against the fabric?

hugs,

Ellen

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Hi Ellen, no I haven't had the shot work through the seams, tho a couple of times when I have string jointed my teeniest bears, and made a mistake and had to pull the limbs off and start again, the shot has come out the hole left by the needle/thread. Just a couple of beads tho, nothing dramatic.

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

I use panty hose!  I cut off a small length and knot it at the bottom, fill it with glass sand or steel shot then twist and knot again.  Because it is so stretchy it can be mainpulated really well and you can pull the knots really tightly so that they can barey (bearly) be felt.

Goldelocs Bears Goldelocs Bears
Brisbane

Hi, I use garnet in the sand like form, and put it straight in the tummy with no lining. I also use it in the feet for some bears/animals. Some people worry that it will work its way through the seams but I haven't had any problems yet. It also leaves a really firm smooth finnish.

karenaus Melbourne
Website
Goldelocs Bears wrote:

Hi, I use garnet in the sand like form, and put it straight in the tummy with no lining. I also use it in the feet for some bears/animals. Some people worry that it will work its way through the seams but I haven't had any problems yet. It also leaves a really firm smooth finnish.

Ooooh yes Garnet is great too:) Packs even denser than the tiny sand like glass beads. I did have a little hassle with it on lighter fabrics, but as long as the fur wasn't realy pale and sparse it worked well.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Ellen!
No, I have not had a problem - it doesn't come out the seams or fabric  bear_flower

BrendaBears BrendaBears
Jackson, Wyoming
Website

Hi Michelle,

I don't make the really tiny minis (maybe someday). The smallest bear I currently create is 5 inches. I really like the weighted feel so I use the tiny glass pellets to fill them. I don't use a little pouch either and have never had an issue with the pellets working through the fibers. I really think it's a matter of preference whether to use a pouch to contain the pellets or not.

I do like Clare's idea of using the pantyhose and may have to try that one myself.  bear_thumb

bear hugs...Brenda

CLBaeren NRW
Clarebear wrote:

I use panty hose!  I cut off a small length and knot it at the bottom, fill it with glass sand or steel shot then twist and knot again.  Because it is so stretchy it can be mainpulated really well and you can pull the knots really tightly so that they can barey (bearly) be felt.

Panty hose! I Think, that's a very good concept. Thank you

Great tips everybody. So the majority of you just put the pellets in free form, meaning sprinkled into the tummy without a pouch. For the feet, just fill until the bear stands.  I found copper coated BB’s has a nice weight. I use to buy them at Wal-Mart. they are very heavy but they are too big for real little bears. I never used garnet. What is that and where can you find it?

Goldelocs Bears Goldelocs Bears
Brisbane
Michelle Helen wrote:

I never used garnet. What is that and where can you find it?

Hi Michelle, I get mine from gerrys.com.au here in Australia.

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

The garnet is used by sand-blasters as an abrasive, it's great because it adds a nice weight without the crunchy feel of pellets. If you have a sand-blasters near-by you could go ask them to sell you a small amount (they may even give it to you). I bought a big sack from a place which suplies it to industry......it's going to last me for years  bear_rolleyes I have also used stainless steel shot in minis, I don't use a liner and have never had a problem with either the garnet or the steel (just be sure your seams are sewn nice and tight). I keep my shot and garnet in sauce bottles and I can just pour it straight in through the opening in the back of the bear.  bear_original

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Oh, it's so good to know you don't have to make the little tummy pouches.  I think the balancing would be easier without them too!!  bear_original

hugs,

Ellen

Ann-Marie: thanks for the website...I never heard of garnet sand before.....

Linda: what a great idea to keep the pellets in sauce bottles...what a wonderful tip!

krisleanne Posts: 1

Hello, Is it possible to weight a large teddy bear to 26lbs? I have never done this before, but I have the large bear and the sand, and I am sewing inserts to hold the sand.. I am just not sure if there is a special technique that I should know of the will distribute the sand properly so that it won't not sit up. Has anyone ever weighted a large bear? And advise would be appreciated! Thank you!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Oh wow that's heavy...I think you would have to weight the limbs too. But I have no idea..I have never made such a  big bear!

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

I use mica granules to add some weight to my bears. I seldom make minis. For my 10-13 inches bears I always put the mica granules in a nylon panty hose like Clare. It works great as it is really flexible and thin. I do it not because I'm afraid the granules would come out, but because I have tried putting them 'free' once, and it was too messy! bear_original
I have read in a thread here on TT about the advantages-disadvantages of certain materials used for adding weight to your bear, it was really interesting. For example I remember reading that copper should be avoided because it could stain a lightly colored fabric, that sand could put you into trouble with Australian customs etc....
It really helped me finding a 'satisfying' formula! bear_original  bear_original

Board footer