Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

How many of you use tushtags to mark your bears?  I read all the post on the subject of HOW and made up some using the printable fabric and for the very first time actually put one on the bear I am currently working on.  I'm not sure I like it.  I thinking it looks likes my bear is pooing paper out his little bum. 

What are others thoughts on this?  Do you do something different?  Any and all suggestions recommended.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

HA! HA! HA!
I've got to stop reading TT after hubby is in bed..... it never fails that one of you makes me laugh loud enough to wake up him or the dogs!!!  bear_laugh

Shantell, perhaps you should place the tush tag elsewhere!?

I put mine in the lower back, just below where I leave an opening to stuff.

On my dogs I put it in the back seam of a leg as most of my dogs sit. (If only my REAL ones could be still long enough to do that!)

Try different places until you find one that doesn't look hideous to you!  bear_tongue

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

I chase 'em round the old beary corral while El Tel lasso's the little blighters and then i brand 'em with a red hot iron on their butts
bear_laugh   bear_grin   bear_tongue   bear_laugh   bear_grin
They yell like Billy O - but i just stuff their mouths with choccy and that shuts 'em up! They can't sit down for a few days but that soon wears off and they are as happy as Larry again - who would want to be a Gotobed Bear???

Penny - a lean mean bear branding machine  bear_tongue

Deb Upstate New York
shantell wrote:

I thinking it looks likes my bear is pooing paper out his little bum.

HAHAHA!   bear_grin

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm laughing out loud at that one, too, Shantell; quite a visual you've painted with words, there.

I use a tushtag myself, printed up at a tushtag printing (also known as "paper poo") outfit, en masse.  I don't LOVE my tushtags, but they work just fine, and I have enough to last me ten lifetimes.

I sign the back of the tushtag, which is fabric that's sorta paper-like, with a Micron pen; the bear's name, the date of creation, and my signature.  Before sending it off.

I used to use a little shrinky dink sewn to the back of the right ear, but honestly, the extra effort of making it and handstitching the thing on drove me bonkers.  It's very simple to machine sew the tushtag while I'm sewing closed the back/bottom area of the body.  And while I don't cut corners in my bearmaking, I also don't create unnecessary work for myself, because the prices only go so high, no matter how much time, effort, and materials costs go into a piece.  Ya know?

Hope this helps!

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

I have just made my first tushtags and will place them in my next bear but not in the bum  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I use woven tags that I stitch into the back seam above where I leave the opening to stuff....

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I use the shrinky dink tags and tie them around the neck that way the collector can take them off if they want bear_original

Willamette Valley Oregon

I'm so glad I could give you a chuckle.   bear_grin

I placed the tag at the lower part of the bears back right below where I close 'em up so it's really more like above it's buttcrack if it had one.  I wanted something more permanent then the shrinkydink idea which is a cute one but since I'm making hangtags that can be removed I wanted something nonremoveable as well.  These are nothing fancy trust me...little tags with Apple Dumpling Bears printed on one side...and then I took a tiny rubberstamp with a pawpad that I had already from my daughters cheerleading days and making ponyties for the team (WHAT A NIGHTMARE) and fabric paints and stamped a paw on the other (so original huh...ha ha).  I still have a bit of room to date and initial the tag if I decide to.

Gotta get my act together and decide what I want for nicer looking tags and whatnot...decisions decisions decisions.

Thanks...oh and Penny...OUCH!!!  Poor gotobedbears...don't do that to George if you when you lasso him.   bear_grin

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

DSCF4888.jpgShantell, I use satin ribbon for the tash tags.

Print logo at the local photo store. Works for me.

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

LOL Shantell!  My mother had this problem with her early bears, she was using a taupe ultrasuede tag that she'd sign and sew into the lower back seam.  She sent one of these early bears to her sister in Canada, who showed it off to a group of her little old lady friends.  One little old lady looked at the bear, flipped it over, looked at the tag, looked shocked and said 'Tell your sister to move the tag!'  Obviously having similar thoughts to yours!
bear_grin

I think it was Laura Lynn that suggested shrinky dink tags a while back, and we've been using them ever since.  They are very subtle and people who have seen our tags at shows have greatly admired them, we even had some people say 'I love these!  I HATE sewn-in tags!'  To each their own.  Laura uses fishing line to tie them on, if I recall correctly.  I tried this initially but some of the knots would slip over time (some did, some didn't, never could figure out what I was doing differently on the ones that slipped).  I now use VERY thin jewelry wire to attach the shrinky dink, thin enough that it makes perfect tight knots but isn't going to poke the bear, and I haven't seen one slip yet.  Regular bears get one attached to their lower-to-mid back, all fours bears and other critters get it attached to the back or inside of one rear thigh, wherever it will be subtle and not poke them as they sit / stand.

Hope this helps!
Kelly

Willamette Valley Oregon

One little old lady looked at the bear, flipped it over, looked at the tag, looked shocked and said 'Tell your sister to move the tag!'  Obviously having similar thoughts to yours!

Exactly...that's what I'm afraid of...even with it being in the lower part of the back...and now that I have it sewn in...picked...and turned I'm still not liking it too much.  Hmmmmm....maybe it's just I don't like the tag itself...it's too generic.

P.S.  Julia, your tags look lovely.  I like the satiny look....softer than these ones I have.  I may have to reconsider shrinkydinks afterall.

Good grief...my poor early bears all have something different.  I don't think I've sent one bear out with the same "accessories" (tags, etc.)   Does that make them truley OOAK?

bear_grin

clare14 Country Bears
England

I do the same as Patsy, at the top of the back, above where you leave the opening to fill.    bear_original

Stephanie Sassy Bears & Fabrics
Aurora, Colorado

BRSopt400.jpgI use leather tags. I had a leather stamp made and got some leather punches. Now I can just stamp out dozens of them at a time. I wanted something different than the usual fabric or plastic tags.
Of course since I do minis, tush tags don't work very well. I just hang these around the neck. On bigger bears I can sew them on where ever I want.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

No tags for my bears....afterall, real bears don't have tags  bear_rolleyes  Instead, I make a french not, Braille D on the hip of my bears, to the right of the tail.  They get sewn onto the piece before I make up the bear, so its not going anywhere, and its not visible.  You really need to feel for them, but my mark is there  bear_flower

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

To be quite honest, I am still debating over what kind of tag to do.  In theory, I'd like to do a patch on the big ones that I can stitch onto the fabric on eithre side, so it lays flat  kind of like a belt loop.  But am still debating... 

Julia, I really like your tag... it looks nice and I like that you can put a photo of your bear on it. 

Kimberly W.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

I like that little leather tag Stephanie!   bear_wub

Poopin' out a tush tag!  I LOVE IT!  Of course, I also still have that lovely visual Shelli mentioned when talking about crazy cat behavior, and how she's had to physically remove a length of ribbon from her kitty's nether regions!  The combination of these two visuals is just a riot!

I swear, people send me funny jokes all the time, but I am just not that big of a laugh out loud person.... but her eon Teddy Talk, I do actually LOL!   bear_grin Especially bear making related humor... which you KNOW that no one else will "get" so you can't even tell anyone! That's what I love so much about this forum.... we all "get it!"   Plus, try talking about a frustrating bear problem with someone else, and you have to spend 20 minutes explaining exactly what a gusset IS, before you even begin to explain what it is tthat you are trying to do. 
Perfect example.... my Grandparents came over for Thanksgiving this year... now, my Grandfather is in his mid 80's, and understandably all the brain connections that were once there are starting to fail, and he's a bit hard of hearing.... Wonderful man that I love SO much, but anyway.... He walks into the kitchen as I am showing my Mom my newest bear, explaining to her that I have moved some of the 'darts' on the 'gusset' to a new location....  "Well, I had me one of them "trussets" back in WWII, lemme take a look!"  He begins to examine my bear, and tells this incredibly detailed story of his testicular hernia, and how he had to wear his "trusset" night and day for weeks!  OMG!  He's still turning my bear around, apparently still searching for the "darted trusset."  Thankfully Mom changed the subject rather quickly and saved me!  I mean, what does one say to THAT!  I wouldn't even know where to begin!
For those how don't know, or who have a different name for this device... he was thinking of a TRUSS!  A sort of elastic underware, supportive device you have to wear when you have a hernia!  An this was a DETAILED description of both the injury and the supportive device!UGGG! 
But see, how nice is it that we can all say things like 'gusset,' 'tush tag,' or 'nose wax' without so much as an explaination, and certainly without folks assuming that we are talking about something like a medical grade jockstrap!
I LOVE THIS PLACE!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Beary truly ours,
Kim Basta

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Kim Basta, I'm just picturing your grandpa telling that story. How funny is that!!
You're right about all the bear making talk. All my friends are guys, so you can just imagine the blank stares I get when I talk about it.

As for tush tags, haven't made them yet. Can't decide what I want to do, so I just haven't done anything yet. I would really llike to find a way that's all my own. Kinda like Stephani did.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Howe funny you guys are.....chocolate cures everything, right Penny?

DebbieD  you reminded me of what I used to do with quilts, I always machine quilted, so I would add my name and date in one corner and frequently included the name of whoemever the quilt was for in the the quilting, and sometimes the names of the kids etc.  That way no one could argue that it was theres.....but I did it in such a way that you couldn't tell unless you knew what and where to look for it, and then you still had to concentrate.

I like your "Braille D" idea.  Very nice.

dilu

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Kim B.  Hilarious story!  And I can add to your Kitty story you remember so well.  I will just leave it at this.... 

Our big boy Frodo (Bernese Mountain Dog) decided to eat a length of paper towel which, by the way, does NOT digest in doggy tracts.  Well, quite some time later, I am out in the back with him round about the time he decides to expell said paper goodie.  Needless to say, I did NOT have to help him 'dispose' of anything, once he realized that he had a 3 foot long 'dangly', his eyes became about as big round as dinner plates and he tore off, whipping his hind end about, all over the yard.

Disgusting? YES  Hilarious? I have to admit, yes....

I will also have to admit that when Shantell mentioned that little bit about pooping paper out his bum, that was the FIRST thing I thought of.... but hesitated to tell the story.... lol

Kimberly W.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Oh my such funny stories.  I use tush tags too, but may have to change to something else now  bear_grin

Kim B I loved the story about your grampa !!!

My son says I should contribute my cat stories too.  This year I've had to remove some interesting objects from my cat !  A small elastic hairbow, a rubber band, lots of grass, string and best of all...........a 6 inch piece of thread with a 2 inch sewing needle still attached !!!!!  ( I won't be using that needle to sew bears any more   bear_grin ) I couldn't believe she could digest that and live.  This cat has used up all 9 lives in only 2 years of life.

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Kim, I loved your "Grandpa" story bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  What you said is so true!! It is nice to be able to talk about gussets, & nose wax etc. and not have to explain what you are talking about first! I recently showed a friend a bear that I made from a brand new pattern  and her comment was "he's cute, just like the others"......in other words, she didn't see any difference at all!
Deb, I like you idea of a mark that you have to feel for, it would be permanent but not take away from the bear. I use a tiny tag in the back of the leg on mine.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

I also have a shoe box marked "nose floss" that cracks my 12 year old up every time he sees it!  Didn't strike me as anything ODD at the time I wrote it at all.

Beary truly,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Willamette Valley Oregon

I loved your story also Kim.  I just love listening to old people and small children.  My mom was an nursing director at a nursing home prior to attending medical school and some of my favorite memories of my childhood are going to the nursing home and visiting with the "old folks."  I just loved listening to them talk about whatever.  I get that same thing when I go to the eye doctor...as I'm by far one of my doctors youngest patients...his average being 70 years old.  I hear some of the funniest stuff especially from the "little old men."  It always makes my day.  I hope when I grow old that I'm as charming as some of them.

Shantell

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Nose floss!...what is so funny about that.. bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Board footer