Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

It seems to me that most of the new artist bears I see are mineature.   I like big, floppy, huggable bears.  Am I unique?  Should I start going for the little guys?   bear_wub

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

I generally make bears from 12 to 17 inches, and a few smaller and larger.  My avatar, Northern Light, is a long polar bear lying down.  The mallard duck is larger than life size.  I think my favorite size bear is about 17 inches, which makes a good hug.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Well I never know which way to go. My favourite size is a teddy of about 15 inches. That size is for me ideal...I can do all the detailing I want and still keep it manageable. However, lately,since the financial climate went into a nose dive I am very aware that people haven't necessarily got the funds to buy big bears and so I have worked on some smaller ones which range from about 7 inches up to about 11inches which does cut down the time element. But it's not easy to sell any bears at the moment. I suspect that those who sell instantly might make only a few bears and they are so highly sought after that they get snapped up. I have found it's all much slower and I do try very hard to make my work stand out what ever the size but with so much out there to choose from its an uphill battle! My work sells so I am eternally grateful for that but I never rest on my laurels.
I like to make tiny bears too but I find I haven't go the will to persevere with teeny tiny detailing ..and my eyes don't like it either. I also find too that less is most definitely more on tiny bears and I do have to tell myself to stop or I lose the effect.
That said I am working on a 30 inch bear now ...and he is lovely....that's a risk because he has taken me a week so far and will someone want to buy him!
I just think the cost of buying mohair can be prohibitive with the economy being so tight..so that's perhaps why people make little bears.
Trying to keep going through this downturn is exhausting....I hope we all come through it but I suspect that it will have a negative effect on some. The thing is that when things are tough people try to do what they an to bring n more money..and that means that they might start a craft business..or start to sell things. Since I started making bears 10 years ago I don't think I have ever noticed how many new artists come along....however in the last couple of years I certainly have seen many new artists. Lots of great ones too. That is not a bad thing and does keep everyone on their toes.
I will do whatever I have to do to keep the Three O'clock Bears  in business through this...just try to stay positive and make whatever the market wants...so if that's bigger or smaller bears that's what I will do!  Happy to be able to do it too!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I've made big bears for almost twenty years and am happy to say, there is and always has been, a place in collector's hearts for the big 'uns!  That said, I think it's wise to be versatile, but the most important aspect of creating bears is to create from the heart, rather than from the spreadsheet, if you want to remain fulfilled in what you do.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I do think for many collectors there is more room on their shelves if they buy small.  But there are still plenty of collectors who like larger bears, or collect both.  I do not make tiny bears, I just cannot work that small.  I am a medium size bear maker with an average size of 12"  I will occasionally go down to 7" or up to 15".  It does not seem to matter,  I sell them equally well. 

Just like Paula says, do what you love.  If you love it and you are good at it, the rest will work itself out.

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp
lovenshire wrote:

It seems to me that most of the new artist bears I see are mineature.   I like big, floppy, huggable bears.  Am I unique?  Should I start going for the little guys?   :love:

You are certainly not unique, Lenora, I love big bears too.  :love:

I think the reason why you see so few big bears has already been explained by Jenny.  Many artists have confirmed me that they have started making smaller bears, because they are easier to sell.  And who can blame them.  If you rely on the sale of your bears as supplemental or main income, then it's just common business sense to make the type of bears that sell well.

From a personal point of view: although I have many smaller bears in my hug and some of them are awfully cute, the big guys (and girls) are my favorites.  :love:
(Luckily I know several artists that continue to make these: Paula Carter, Marilyn Lambert, Sharon Barron, Sue Quinn, Brendan Daly, Dawn James, Rachel Ward, ..... )  bear_smile

karenaus Melbourne
Website

I started with little bears, then went to large......had a break to concentrate on other things, then when I started back with the bears, went tiny almost exclusively, because that was what called me back, the idea of making miniatures. Yes lots of long time collectors say they are collecting tiny ones because they are running out of room now, and minis can fit in all those spots in their cabinets between their big bears bear_grin And I get sales to bear makers who don't want to or can't make a mini, but there are plenty of collectors who adore larger pieces. Most important thing is you make what calls to you, IMHO... I think you never do as well when you make what you *think* you should be making, rather than what you *have* to make bear_grin
   It's not always about cost to the collector either- I love making sets or scenes with a few miniatures, which of course are more expensive when they contain 2, 3 or 4 bears- but they still sell well on the whole.

Board footer