Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Cpaints48 Posts: 2

Greetings and Growls!

I just stumbled upon this site, and wanted to say hello!  I recently acquired three friends, that I'd like to know something about.

The only markings I can find, would be written in pen .. on their paws. Jo Jacques and a year '91 -'90 - and I believe '90  Also 2/4, which I take to mean 2 out of 4?

Anyhooo -- they are well crafted bears, sturdy. Their bodies are hard stuffed. Jointed limbs and heads. My personal favorite (sshhhh.......should we have a favorite?) is the grey guy. I love his pout!

Pads of their paws are are either felt on one, a soft leather on the second large bear, and a shiny leather (?) on the grey guy.

I'm in Massachusetts, so these could possibly be a local artist. Feel free to answer here, or with a direct e-mail.

Thanks in advance for any help --
Carla

1351782686_three_bears.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Welcome to Teddy Talk, Carla!

That's a good looking "family" you acquired. I'm afraid I don't know who might have made them, but she or he clearly put some love into their work.

Becky

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

Oh I love the three bears!  The gold one in the front is my favorite...

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

That certainly is a handsome trio, Carla.  :love:
I must admit that the grey's expression is very unusual (and I kind of love him too  bear_smile )
The 2/4 would probably mean a limited edition of 4, and that bear being number two.  So I think you are right that it must be artist's bears (no manufacturers make limited editions of 4 bears), but it's going to be hard to find out who exactly made them.  In the 90's bear artistry was a booming business, so lots of people started making bears; alas not many of them have lasted.  :(
I think "Jo Jacques" might be the name of the bear and not a reference to the artist, so that makes it even harder.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I googled Jo Jacques and came up with a health/beauty/cosmetics business in the UK.  Also, there is a Jo Jacques in Salem, MA, who is a dog trainer/dog and cat behavior consultant.  Guess she could've made bears before this career.

Cpaints48 Posts: 2

Thank you for all the feedback.  I acquired these through an estate sale,but ended up keeping them for my own personal collection.
These guys, and one other ... who was "adopted" out were my favorites.
There are three new babies in my family, perhaps they will find their way there... who knows, it's up to the bears!
Thanks again!
C-

Board footer