Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Now that I'm back from my globetrotting adventures, my gran has volunteered me for an interesting task.  Her neighbour's friend would like me to make her a bear, however it's one with a difference.  Her husband suddenly dropped dead recently and she would like me to make her a bear that his ashes can go inside so that she can still hug him.  Whilst I have nothing against the idea per se, I just don't know how to actually contain the ashes!  It seems like she would like a larger bear, and I have a couple I can take over to show her as examples, although this would be made from scratch, but I'm hoping that being larger that it will make it easier to hold them. 

Any ideas?  I thought I'd seen someone mention doing something with ashes before on here, but a search of the forums revealed nothing  bear_sad

Thanks

Conni Germany

I think at  a firmly closeable capsule in the belly of the bear. Or a heart tin...?

There are also small urns.

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I have seen bears before with a pocket so to speak in their tummy.  You make the bear pretty much like a normal bear but you put a lining in the tummy section where you would put the tin holding the ashes.  The ones I saw had a velcro closure in the back seam of the bear.  You could also do a zipper.  I think I would shoot for at least a sixteen inch bear, maybe larger.  You will need to have a good sized tummy so you can have a fair amount of stuffing around the tin.
Sounds like a noble task.  Good luck and let us see your finished bear.
Donna

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

That is indeed an interesting request!

I like Donna's idea of giving the bear an openable and closable section - maybe something like the Steiff hot water bottle bear? He has a lace-up opening in the tummy, and the lined inner compartment inside is lightly padded. That would protect the tin and prevent its being felt during hugs.

Becky

Glasgow

Interesting thoughts, thanks guys!  I've had a meeting with my gran's neighbour now (the lady in question is down with flu) and apparently at the moment the ashes are in a sealed plastic bag rather than an urn, and it's about the size of a 6lb bag of sugar!  She doesn't want them divided up, so they will all be in the one place - I think this is going to be one enormous bear, however I assemble him!

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

very large bears are my specialty, so if you need any advice specific to that feel free to message me.

I would definitely make a multi-layer, airtight package with a stout cloth outer layer and airtight plastic inner layers....human ashes are extremely fine, like dust, I'd worry that some might escape with the package actually being handled frequently like that.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Yes, the plastic bad holding the ashes should be inside something sturdy (I might choose a tin with the lid taped down securely, or even a wooden box held shut with screws).

Good luck with the project,
Becky

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I think I would put the bag of ashes in a flour or sugar canister and try to seal the lid on.

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

A "soft" container is perfectly doable....and arguably a must if you are making a bear meant to be hugged and cuddled. You should be fine as long as you have redundant layers of plastic, and an outer cover of denim or corduroy. try using good quality zip lock bags, and seal them permanently with pool and vinyl toy repair glue (should be available at any hardware store, ask specifically for MEK based glue)

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Not quite sure how to put this delicately, but you may need to consider the weight of the ashes ... I'm sure he wouldn't mind me saying, but my dad was quite a large fellow and when we scattered his ashes my sister and I were both quite surprised by how heavy the box was!  (It was quite a large box too!)

I have also been asked to do this before, but have never been comfortable with the idea of handling a loved one's ashes for a collector, it seems to me, too much responsibility to keep them safe.  I think I'd prefer to incorporate a personal item such as a watch or ring etc into the bear, rather than ashes.

Conni Germany

It is not buried in a bigger urn and in a miniature urn a small portion?

It is very interesting.
I would also like a picture printed on material of the person. This picture then on the body....

I hope, I have received the right words from the translator.

Glasgow

Thanks guys, I was thinking at least one layer of soft bag, as I think a tin or box wouldn't be very cuddly - she doesn't seem to have an urn for him, and is quite adamant about keeping him together.  I'll bear in mind the weight too, thanks for that suggestion!

Board footer