Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

Can anyone help me - can I dye synthetic fur?
I am trying to make a pattern for a pekingese, but I only have white synthetic fur that long.
So I was thinking of dying the fur in a golden color.
Can I do that?
Any help will do, thank you.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I have done it but it wrecks the fur...it is never the same afterwards...and the dye doesn't really take. I think you would be better to airbrush....dying faux fur is not good.

Denmark

oohhh  :/
Pekingese can also be found in white  :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jenny

Nievesgirl Posts: 19

I know this thread is old but I been googling how to dye faux fur since this is what I will be using.  I found this link really helpful
http://www.furnation.com/big_bad_wolf/coloring.htm I will try it and see how it goes.

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

YAY! a furry site! my people....

fursuiting message boards and blogs are awesome resources for teddy bear making, since they are constantly experimenting with unorthodox materials and methods....
much of what I've been doing with bears in recent years came from knowledge I gained in the furry community and through fursuit building.

Denmark

Thank you for the link. Nievesgirl.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Yes, thank you for this link.  Very interesting,  I would have never imagined to do this.

BlackmoonBear wrote:

YAY! a furry site! my people....

fursuiting message boards and blogs are awesome resources for teddy bear making, since they are constantly experimenting with unorthodox materials and methods....
much of what I've been doing with bears in recent years came from knowledge I gained in the furry community and through fursuit building.

I agree I found some interesting info on such blogs and forums check this out more on dying faux fur

Fabric spray
http://www.fabricspraypaint.com/

Sharpie dying bear_original ( this method may cost too much )
http://fursuit.livejournal.com/2826105.html

another link someone mention on a fury forum
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1813-AA.shtml

I am actually looking for a certain color of Mongolian faux fur ( let me get pic of the color )

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

Yes, the fursuit group on LJ is an excellent resource, even though it centers around costume building a great deal of it can be applied to teddies.

by the way, I'd avoid sharpies for shading....I know from experience that the pigment tends to transfer if it's rubbed by human skin. you're best off using a copic marker for small area shading.
Airbrushing is decent, but use a self-setting dye instead of paint, it leaves the fur feeling softer and won't fade off like paint will.

not sure about immersion dying, since I've never done that myself, but the warning about it ruining the feel of the fur sounds about right.....if you go that route, dye a small peice first so you don't ruin your whole cut if it doesn't come out right.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

The trouble is what you are doing is staining the surface of the fabric...not actually dying the fibre like with mohair which does actually accept the dye without changing the textile too much. I think..as much as it seems to work it's an awful  bother to spend so long doing it when you can get fake fur in just about any colour anyway. My experience of dying it is that it alters the texture in such a way that its way too damaging for it to be usable afterwards.
Airbrushing and hand shading are good because it allows shading and patterning which is unique to the design you are working on.
I have never been successful with dying faux fur..though I have tried!

So I keep reading more and more about dying faux fur. I am finding out that if you hand paint or airbrush they dilute the paint with alcohol. Some of the fursuit's I have seen have soft looking hair and it looks pretty good. I did find some faux fur in some what the color I want but its not perfect. I have been searching for real fur but I need something that has 2-3" of coat.

Board footer