Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

Those of you who've seen the video tutorial I posted a ways back know what this is about, but for those who haven't, one of my favorite things to do with my bearmaking talent is taking "good" factory made bear designs and making them excellent with a little plastic surgery. To that end, I proudly introduce my latest patient..."Tien Lian" (heavenly face):

"Before" shot...essentially as he came from the factory-
before.jpg

"After"....sculpting stitches (upholsty thread) for new smile, eye socketing, muzzle top tuck and nasal ridges. also reshading of eyepatch bottoms, smile and around nose with coptic marker-
after.jpg

Here's a full body shot-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/ … llbody.jpg

student bearmaker Northern Ireland

Wow! You've given him a real makeover,fur and all - love him and he looks years younger bear_grin .
As a novice I was always mystified about needle sculpting.I would make up a teddy kit and be really disappointed that the end result didn't have the same expression or character as the photo on the kit and then I realised that the difference was due to needle sculpting and shading of facial features.I have read text and seen diagrams on the subject but nothing compares to a visual demonstration and your video tutorial was great, very detailed and easy to understand.Thank you very much for your generosity in sharing your skills.I hope you'll do one on shading and nose embroidery in the future which are both my nemesis and leave my bears looking a bit homemade but I'll keep on practicing in the meantime.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I love the engaging smile he has now. Well-done!

Becky

LitWit Posts: 298

That has got to be the cutest panda I've ever seen! I love his smile, and his improved nose! He looks so fluffy and friendly! Did you trim his fur at all, or just brush him? Can I ask what brand he is?

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

No fur trimming was done....I brushed him out properly, so he looks fluffier.

He was made under the label "FineToy" which unfortunately was discontinued years ago by the parent manufacturer Fiesta.

Glad you like him, he's one of my favorites as well- I have 8 of these pandas, and I sleep with them often :)

here is the polar bear version based on the same pattern, same deal, before and after my makeover-

before-
100_1964.jpg

after-
Okha.jpg

Miser Miser Bears

He looks amazing, wonderful job!  bear_wub

LitWit Posts: 298

Oh, wow! That polar bear is HUGE! bear_laugh I thought that looked familiar; I used to have a polar bear made by FineToy, bought about ten years ago, with a similar face and similar fur. I'll bet that panda is awfully nice to snuggle up with! bear_original

Board footer