Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

eeyore13 Posts: 120

have found that mohair that starts lovely and soft goes dull after stuffing and a lot of handling! even Schulte has done it to me, the same mohair used by someone else hasnt done it to them so it must be me! bear_cry

Help - what can I do to either prevent it or to get the shine back?  bear_sad

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

never heard of that, but maybe try wearing cotton gloves while you are assembling?

Am starting to wonder whether it is the fact I always have hot hands even in cold weather!  have some cotton gloves which will try to use.

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

A suggestion. I often do it with my mohair bears as it also helps with the fur direction, giving them a tidier look.
- spray them with a little water (don't get them too wet, only so that the fur is humid)
- brush them with a cat brush (I have one that I use especially for my teddies as I own no cats! bear_original )
-apply some hair styling mousse (if it's good for our hair, why not for our bears' fur? bear_grin )
-brush again then let it dry (if you are in a hurry you can dry it gently with your hair drier)
-when it's perfectly dry, you can do some more gentle brushing.
Good luck! bear_original  bear_original

Does the mousse help with the softness and shine?

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

I have the same problem with synthetec - Schulte fake fur. It is not the same, after I have finished the bear.
So I use cotton gloves, when working with fake fur. I have never had the problem with mohair.

I take it the gloves work and stop the fur dulling Birgitte?

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

Yes, the gloves work, but I hate to use gloves - also when I do garden work.

Thank you - have a pair but they need a wash since they are my moisturising ones!

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Yes, the mousse helps both with styling and with the shine.  bear_original

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I do the same as Francesca, I just use water though.  When I am all done, the bears get a gentle spray and a brush.  If the mohair is unruly or too wavy I use a blow dryer, just like I would my own hair.

BatFinchBears BatFinch Bears

These are some excellent tips! I shall have to invest in some cotton gloves. I find it very frustrating when my bear ends up looking "well-loved"(aka, scruffy), before it's even fully finished!

I shall definitely test these on my next worse for wear looking bear.

I have tried the gloves and it works!  You can get away with just one glove on the hand that is holding the item that is stuffed!!!  bear_grin  bear_thumb

Thank you everyone  bear_wub

Board footer