Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Lolly Montreal

Hello lovely TT'ers!

I know fender washers can be used in a pinch, have used a couple myself when what I had on hand just wouldn't do... And I just love the added weight without having the bulk of beads in the belly!

But was wondering, are there any "rules" when using these? I don't mind using these in my initial 'practice' bears, but wouldn't the metal actually damage the lining/backing over time? I would assume an added layer of felt would help? Any tips for a newbie? I really, really, really like the idea of using 'real' hardware for joints. Really. Though I am open to change. bear_original

Your input is forever appreciated!

Hugs,
Lolly bear_original

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hi Lolly,

I have to confess - I needed to Google "fender washers," and they're simply what I know as "washers." bear_laugh Anyway, I assume you're thinking of using them to weight a bear? You could try sewing a sturdy fabric pouch to enclose them and placing them inside the body, but I'd suggest not using too many. (You might end up feeling them through the fur and stuffing.) Since you mention felt, though, are you thinking of putting them in the feet or paws? That might not work out.

Lolly wrote:

Any tips for a newbie? I really, really, really like the idea of using 'real' hardware for joints. Really. Though I am open to change.

What have you been using if not "real hardware"? (Plastic safety joints? Something else?) I'm not sure what you're asking here, but in my opinion, the mohair suppliers are the only place to buy nuts, bolts, washers, cotter pins, etc. They're exactly what we need, and they're not expensive. (My experiences trying to find what I needed at the local hardware store didn't go well.) bear_wacko

Becky

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Lolly, I just checked the Library section under "stuffing," and there are several threads there where weighting is discussed.

Good luck!

Becky

Lolly Montreal

Thanks for the reply Becky! Sorry though, it looks like my question was as clear as mud. bear_sad

The fender washer is what I'll sometimes use instead of the fibre board discs. They're much larger than an average 'regular' washer, up to 2" in diameter, but with the screw-sized middle hole the same as any other washer. (basically like fiber board discs only in stainless steel)  Since they're metal, they add significant weight when used in joints.

Otherwise you are 100% correct that all other joint pieces, the nuts, bolts, #6 or 8 washers, are in fact 'real' hardware.  bear_original  I was just wondering about options for swapping out fibre board discs for metal.

Hugs!
Lolly bear_original

Lolly Montreal

PS - I have a local, privately owned hardware store near me that sells 'speciality' hardware specific for the construction industry.  (Boulons Plus) I've been able to find all my bear making supplies there! (as long as I don't mind my discs being in metal!)  bear_laugh

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Lolly wrote:

The fender washer is what I'll sometimes use instead of the fibre board discs.

Got it! bear_original I can't think of any reason not to use them that way. Over time (decades), even the fiberboard or wooden disks can occasionally wear through the fabric, but I don't think it's a common problem. As long as the edges of the fender washers aren't any sharper than other disks, and since stainless isn't going to rust, I would think you're fine. And maybe you've stumbled onto something good in terms of weighting!

Becky

Lolly Montreal

Thanks so much, Becky, I feel so much better now with a pro's opinion!  bear_original  I'm off to start my next bear! bear_laugh

Hugs,
Lolly bear_original

BeauT Bears BeauT Bears
Rotterdam

To be on the safe side concerning faster wear of the mohair fabric I'd place a piece of woolfelt slightly larger than the metal washer between the washer and the mohair. Metal just is 'harder' than fibre board discs and even if the rims of the washers are smooth the material will cause the mohair to wear faster. And you will need to pay attention to the size of washers you use. If the washers are too large for the joints and the limbs are not properly stuffed you will very soon feel the rims of the washers through the fabric of the limbs, which I guess will not add to the huggability of your creation. Hope this helps!

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

I've been using them for years.  I just find it hard to get a range of sizes.

customteddys Custom Teddys
Juneau, Alaska

I've been using all sizes of fender washers for years for jointing my bears. I love them, especially for the smaller bears. I use a super epoxy to glue a piece of heavy cardboard to each washer on the side of the disk that goes against the bear body. It seems like I was having a hard time getting my joints tight enough and the bears arms, legs, etc., just moved too fast. With a little cardboard (or even felt might work just as well) it adds a little grip to the disk and it doesn't slip against the fabric so easily. Vicki

thebearbehind Posts: 1

I have been using fender washers ever since I started making bears about 18 years ago.  They come in various sizes and I have never had a problem getting a size I needed.  I used to use the little washers with them the way you do when using fiberboard disks, but then I read somewhere that the little washers were used to protect the disks from wearing down and, as they are also metal, I realized that I didn't need to use them.  I have not used them for several years now and have not had any problems with my joints.

creationsbyjdb Orlando FL

Thanks for this thread!  I just came home from the hardware store with cotter pins and fender washers.

Thanks for the tip Customteddys

customteddys wrote:

I've been using all sizes of fender washers for years for jointing my bears. I love them, especially for the smaller bears. I use a super epoxy to glue a piece of heavy cardboard to each washer on the side of the disk that goes against the bear body. It seems like I was having a hard time getting my joints tight enough and the bears arms, legs, etc., just moved too fast. With a little cardboard (or even felt might work just as well) it adds a little grip to the disk and it doesn't slip against the fabric so easily. Vicki

Thebearbehind - Thanks for sharing about the little washers being unnecessary with fender washers!  I was wondering about that.

Board footer