Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

sewzanne Raccoon Creek Bears
New Jersey

Hi- I've been reading these boards and enjoying them very much. I haven't made many bears (only about half a dozen) and I thought I would try one of the kits Intercal offers. I picked Sugar and Spice and am really pleased with how the bear turned out but can't for the life of me figure out how to turn that little kitty right side out. I left the opening at the bottom but the problem is that the neck seems too narrow to push the head through. I am pushing from the inside with my tweezers; I tried pulling from the outside but am afraid that I'll pull fur out of the fabric. Any advice you all can give me would be graetly appreciated. Thanks- Suzanne

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I find that using forceps to turn the mohair right side out is what always works for me.  Do you have any??
By the way, welcome to the board and hope you will post often!!  bear_laugh bear_laugh

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Welcome Suzanne :)
Me too, I use forceps for miniature bear and
It works....but I needed allots of patient!!
(Oops, I only made 2 miniature bear so far..)

Sue Ann, it's so funny that Japanese call
forceps " Pincette "so I thought that
was correct English bear_tongue
I look up my dictionary and found out that
forceps was Pincette.    hee hee

Hugs/Marie

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Sometimes I carefully use the blunt end of a chop stick to push it thru from the inside to the outside....Winney

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

My grandfather would tell you to be sure and hold your mouth just right. Perhaps that was a 'farmer' thing? He was the greatest man!

Anyway, if it's any consolation, I made a 3 inch frog once... that's 4 long skinny legs to turn right side out and also get the webbed foot through. HA! While pushing and pulling and tugging and throwing (flying frogs legs) I'd poke through a seam and have to start all over again. By the time all was said and done I had made 9 frogs legs. And had to promise my hubby I'd never make another frog! (The negativity oozing out of my sewing room scared him away more than once!) I offered to serve him fried frogs legs for dinner but he wasn't interested! :P

Good luck Suzanne and welcome to the land of the Hopelessly Addicted to Bears!!! We look forward to hearing from you often!!! bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Marie, pincette describes accurately what forceps do . . . "pinch" the fabric!! bear_grin bear_grin

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Sue Ann, thanks for English lesson bear_tongue

Hugs/Marie

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh gee, Daphne, sounds like you had a terrible time iwht those frogs legs!!!

I have a pair of forcepts, but I try to stay away from them as often as possible.  I've put a hole into an arm with those things - I find them very difficult to use..

Welcome to the board Suzanne.  I love your nick - verrry clever!

Danni

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_grin Great frogleg story, Daphne!

Welcome, Suzanne!

I spend nearly 30 minutes yesterday trying to turn a tail made of lined mongolian lamb! That includes swearing and stomping time, of course.

It occurred to me (too late) that what I should have done was to leave the needle & thread in place, and use it to help turn the tail rightside out. You'd have to push the needle out to the right side first, then pull on the thread. A long piece of very strong thread. Along with the usual pushing and pulling, it might at least help on a larger piece.

Eileen

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Welcome Suzanne,

One thing that I have found to be helpful in turning fabric is a pencil with a good eraser.  Use the eraser end to push the fabric.  The eraser gives you some traction and it won't go through anything.  You wouldn't believe how many pencils without erasers I have here.  It does wear them down over time.  I hope this helps.

New Jersey

Thanks all for the helpful suggestions. I will let you know when (not if) I'm successful because I'm determined to turn this thing inside out, but the prospect of having to do it more than once is a little daunting! Danni,thanks for the nice comment about "sewzanne", but I can't take credit. Someone else called me that and I like it because I can't forget it. My memory isn't what it used to be. 
   If I don't post success right away, don't worry- this is graduation week at our house. My daughter from high school and my son from elementary school. I have to finish the kitty by Saturday though or else my niece will only get a bear and no kitty friend for her birthday. --Suzanne

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi and Welcome Suzanne!

I'm a bit late jumping in here but...

Not sure if this will help cause it's a 9" bear leg I'm turning here... but I turn my mini bears the same way.. just use smaller things to turn with.   I made up a page showing how I turn my pieces... cause it's easier for me to show with pics than with words :rolleyes:

http://teddiesbylauralynn.com/bearmakin … ieces.html

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Laura!

Absolutely brilliant solution!! Mine from now on bear_laugh Thanks!!!!

Eileen

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

You're welcome bear_laugh

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Hi Suzanne,

Sorry about your frogleg dilemma.  Hope you get it right side out soon, without too much wear and tear.  This may not help you on the frog project, but I've learned that it works pretty well on small pieces to ladder-stitch them from the outside. bear_original

New Jersey

Hi, everyone! I am happy to report that the kitty is right side out and finished! Thanks for all your helpful suggestions. I'm almost sorry that this pair are going home with my niece on Sat. because I would have liked them to be inspiration for a while. I haven't ever tried designing any bears myself- the closest I have gotten was writing a story about three matching bears for a friends triplets. But the bears were from a pattern.Someday! Anyway, I asked my husband to take a picture of the bear and kitty for me so I can post it. I'm not very computer literate, so it may show up and it may not.      Suzanne

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Congratulations, Suzanne . . . we'll be waiting with bated breath to see the results!!  bear_laugh bear_laugh

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Ah sucess is sweet...Glad you finally figured it out, Winney

Board footer