Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

allykat Fincastle Bears
Nürnberg

Hey guys- I am a very new designer and I apologize if this is a newbie question. I've done some Library combing and found some generalized discussions on wings but I need a little more help with the assembly/construction portion.

I have a design in mind using butterfly wings and I have a pretty good idea how I want to try construct them (wool felt + learning some 'quilting' + some needle felting) But I'm a little stumped when it comes to putting them on. If you are attaching a larger piece- say wings or very oversized ears- are you still going to ladder stitch those pieces onto your creations? Or is there another method- maybe cutting a slit into the body and sewing it in that way? What is the best and more secure way to anchor those pieces on?

On a related note, do you have any suggestions for books or materials that may cover some of these non-teddy-specific plushie sewing techniques? I've got one or two teddy books but understandably, topics such as "attaching oversized felt dragon wings" aren't covered. bear_happy

Thank you in advance!

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

An interesting question! I have never done a 'wings' project, so take my input as a pure suggestion that is not supported by experience. If I had to attach wings, I would make them in one piece instead of two, and sew them in the middle, trying to go through the body to attach them securely. If you are also using needle felting, you successively might put some 'patch' to conceal the sewn area. I don't know if it makes sense.... bear_wacko

allykat Fincastle Bears
Nürnberg

Ooo, yes! That makes perfect sense! Thank you for that idea- I hadn't thought of doing it in one piece. It may not work for one potential project I have but it would work marvelously for the butterfly wing one- and patching with needle felting is a GREAT idea!

gugu"s teddies gugu;s teddies
durban

good question. I would like advise on how to make fairy wings please , wire to use, do you make with net or chiffon or i thought ladies stockings

Please any advise greatly appreciated

allykat Fincastle Bears
Nürnberg

Here is an earlier topic specifically on the art of fairy wings! http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=3837

I found a some dragon wing tutorial by browsing "fan" plushes made of Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon. I had seen a lot of them around and late last night I got the hunch that if I looked I might find some help that way (his wings are biiig.)

On one at least it really does look like the maker just ladder stitched them on. I was just concerned that may not be a strong enough solution, but I guess it really would be if you go all the way around and pull tight. On another, the body was made having a seam along the side and the wings were taken into that seam.

I think maybe I will try just picking up the wings in the CB seam of a sitting bear as that seems most direct. I feel kind of dumb for not thinking of that solution FIRST but I guess I had the two wings more spaced out in my head. At least for the butterfly one I'm working on I don't see any reason why they really have to be.

Boogaloo Bears Boogaloo Bears
united kingdom

Hi

I made wings with fantasy film with a wire framework.  I made individual wings, leaving a longer piece of wire which i could then insert into a small hole in the back of the bear. I then turned the wire just as i would a cotter pin.

I also added a little superglue to ensure they stayed put.

Hugs

Lisa x

Board footer