Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

shiniker Little Leaf Bears by Shanna
Loveland

Hello!
     I have a birthday coming up and was thinking I would enjoy a sewing machine for my birthday.  At the moment, I'm doing all my stitching by hand and larger bears are so time consuming.  After some research, I have decided that I would like a Singer Featherweight 221.  I found one locally that the owner states has been cleaned and oiled and is in perfect running condition.  I am going to see the machine next weekend.  Aside from a visual inspection and a sample stitching, is there anything I should look at in particular.  I don't want to buy a lemon unknowingly!

Thank you!!

Shanna

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

That's great, Shanna! I love my Featherweight. If the machine and motor sound OK and stitch OK, you might want to just check the electrical cords and the belt. They're not hard to replace, but they might be worn.

I guess the other thing to look at is the paint finish. Mine has acquired a number of scratches since I've been using it, but then I've found a few gray hairs on my head, too (just normal wear and tear). If it doesn't look perfect, then it should be cheaper, that's all.

Then there's the case, and the manual, and any accessories that are still with the machine. Those (or lack of them) would affect the price as well. (Mine came with the original sales receipt from 1952, so that was fun.)

Enjoy!

Becky

Loveland

Thanks Becky,
    I'll be sure to check the chords out to make sure they don't look worn.  The machine comes with it's case, a bunch of accessories, and the original manual (no receipt, it's so great that yours had that, it would be fun!).  It's priced really well relative to other featherweights I've seen for sale online.  I don't mind some scratches, but I'm hoping that it will still have a uniform shine to it.  I'm seeing in next Saturday, and am quite excited.  Hopefully it will be everything it is advertised as.

Shanna

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

It's quite nice that you'll be able to see it in person. It sounds like a good one!

Becky

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Try to get the seller to let you actually sew with the machine.

Bring some samples of fabric to sew with.  Be sure to sew with some lightweight cloth and some of the plush fabric you plan to use.

Watch and listen to the machine as it sews.  Does it sew straight, even stitches?  Does it "hitch" during part of the cycle such as when the needle is changing directions from going up to down or vice versa?  Do all the parts work and move as you expect?

Listen carefully while the machine runs.  Does it make a "pounding" sound as it sews?  Are there any "grinding" noises?

I assume that you know how a sewing machine is supposed to work.  Use your experience to tell you if everything is right or if there is something wrong.  If there is anything wrong, that signals that you are likely to have to get the machine cleaned or repaired before you can use it reliably.  This gives you good reason to ask for a lower price.

Don't be a crazy person and try to force the deal but, at the same time, don't be afraid to bargain.

When I was very young, my father used to sell Singer sewing machines.  These are some of the things I remember him talking about.  He also told me about some tricks that unscrupulous salesmen used to try to pull on customers.  I remember that he said shyster salesmen would file off or bend the needle on a sewing machine to make it run rough.  They would use that trick as a way to sell a more expensive model.

So, I guess you should also add, "Check to be sure the needle is straight and sharp," to the list of things to look at before you buy.  bear_happy  bear_happy

Loveland

Wow, thanks for all that great advice US Bears.  I will bring some sample fabrics with me.  I know she will let me sew with it first, we have already discussed that.  I've had very little experience with sewing machines, but have done a couple of simple things with my mom's  It was about a year ago though and I hope I can remember, just what everything should sound like.  I appreciate your feedback, I will make a list of things to check.  I'm excited to see it, it will be my very first sewing machine.  Up to this point I've done everything by hand and I'm ready to learn the machine!!

Hugs
Shanna

Us Bears Pennsylvania

A sewing machine like a Singer is a pretty straightforward device.  There isn't a lot of fancy stuff.
I imagine that you know the basics, at least.  Just use your instincts.

Buy with your brain and not just your emotion.  You'll do fine!   :thumbsup:

Once you get the machine home and start using it, I bet you'll take to it like a duck to water!  bear_cool

Board footer