Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Chrisjane Posts: 4

Hello there,

I would love it if someone could help me with this antique bear my mother bought years ago in a flee market.
I'm trying to find who is the maker and year and how much it would fetch if put on eBay?

Thank you for any help you may give me. Very grateful!

C1374055107_image.jpg1374055140_image.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hmmm... He reminds me of a Hermann Zotty, but his paws are not turned downward.

For $10 you could get accurate information that would allow you to give a good description in your listing. (You'll need some better pictures anyway, and you could send them to Ken Yenke, whose information might surprise you.) Ken will also provide a value estimate: kenyenke@aol.com

Becky

Hi there, thank you for that. I live in Greece and he does not take PayPal or bank transfer so I can't do it.  bear_sad

Any further help would be great.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Oh, that's a shame. It definitely looks like a well-made old bear. It has some serious condition issues that would affect the price, but it would be very interesting to find out who the maker is. (To me, it doesn't look like a Fechter.) I hope you hear from some of the other members here!

Becky

Yeah, his fur has come off in parts, his paws have some woollen material put over the felt, which is still under there.
I don't know much about condition etc, but from what I read the mohair is hard to replace.
I looked up the Zotty bears and they are similar in some ways but very different in others...

Any help you would be great from others.
Thanks a lot!  bear_original

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Just a note: I found a Hermann Zotty pictured on p.252 of Cockrill's Teddy Bear Encyclopedia, and it does NOT have turned-down paws. (The one they show is from 1960, and I'd say yours is earlier than that--perhaps from the 1950s when Steiff introduced their Zotty.)

Becky

Thank you Becky,

I have that book. I will look it up. I contacted an expert about it through photos and they could not be sure only with the photos but said he must be valuable even though he is damaged. anyway, best option is to take him to an auction or something. thanks for all your help,

chris

Board footer