Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

I've been looking into the new AutoCAD like pattern making software suites that have recently been developed, and I think I definitely want one....there is a  range of different quality levels available "Plushie 3D" which looks fast and easy but gives relatively crude results, to "Easy Toy" which requires more user involvement in fine tuning the overlay, but gives much more professional looking results.

It would take a lot of the trial and error out of designing, and save me a great deal of time and wasted fabric.

Anyone here use this type of software? Have a recommendation or favorite?

Elli Posts: 102

I tried the demo version of "easy toy", it was really easy to use and I had a lot of fun making some 3d-Objects. bear_laugh But to make them into a pattern you also need "pattern image". Easy toy costs 200$, for pattern image there isn't even a price on the developers website. I sent them an email asking for the price for both (just because I was curious) but never got a reply. bear_whistle

Anyway, I guess it's too expensive for me, so I will continue using clay to model my Objects and tin foil to get the pattern. Works like a charm for me.  bear_grin

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

Chris I for one quite enjoy the process of pattern making (although it is true to say I have a background in this) and vary rarely waste any fabric. Although I can see why it would appeal to others who find pattern making  a chore. If some one invented a machine that could sew on ears perfectly first time I would be first in line   :lol:
The down side in my opinion of using a computer is the fact that it doesn't allow for error. Happy accidents or bits that don't turn out how you expected can offen lead to some thing altogether better than you thouhgt of in the first place or a great idea for the next one. Plus the more you cut shapes the better you are at manipulating them, it's a skill like any other that takes time to learn. Mind you it also takes time to learn how to use a CAD program creatively. I guess part of the pleasure of bear making for me is the fact that it is a tradional craft applying age old methods. You gotta go with what you like other wise what's the point.
Good luck with CAD let us know how you go on if you get one.
Michelle

Elli Posts: 102

Michelle, you have a point there, but you can also learn quite a lot from working with a model (I guess it doesn't matter if it's made of clay or on the computer). When drawing a pattern by hand, most people tend to stick to "traditional" teddybearpattern with, for example, a 3-piece-head. But on the model you can put the seams in completely different places and try out new methods. Imagining and drawing such a pattern by hand is difficult and requires a lot of trial and error.

Designing Patterns Help
In this topic, Us Bears uses the software "Blender" to make a pattern. I might give it a try since it's freeware. bear_thumb

Board footer