Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

LozTed Posts: 5

Evening all,

I was wondering what people use to add extra weight to their teddy bears. I have made a few bears but find that they are very light. I have several bought bears which feel like they have some form of bean/pellet inside them. Any ideas or suggestions on what I could use to add weight to my creations.

Thanks in advance
-Lauren

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

I use steel shots in my bears.
Here is a link to a topic about weighting your bear

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=44721

I hope it helps.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I use ground glass. I also use Copper coated bebe's. I did read that somebody washed small pebbles from their yard and used them as weights.

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

Glad someone asked this question as I saw a pattern the other day that used kitty litter???  I was thinking that would not be a very good idea - has anyone ever used that or heard of that ?

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I never heard of kittie litter used inside a bear. I would think that the fine dust would be coming through the seams and fibers. Not a good thing. I can imagine plopping the bear down and a cloud of dust billowing around the said bear.  bear_sad

Elli Posts: 102

Kittie litter would definitely be a bad idea. If the teddy gets a little wet he would be hard to dry and afterwards he would have a big lump in his body.  bear_ermm

Stuffed Lincolnshire

Steel shot is great for filling bears, but I'd suggest putting it in a little bag first so it doesn't touch your bear's fur as it goes in and stain it. I sew a small bag of pellets up and drop them into the bears butt, then load the stuffing in. It helps them sit nicely.
I used Aquarium pebbles for some tester bears I made, basically just because it's inexpensive and gives them a nice weight....I also guess it'd be resistant to water damage??

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

All of my bears are weighted, even my mini bears.  I use stainless steel bb's from the local store.  For my mini bears I use tiny stainless steel beads/grit or tiny glass beads.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Laura Lynn, can you tell me what store you are finding stainless steel bbs.  I have never found them in stainless and I would love some.

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

Wow Sarah, aquarium pebbles, what a great idea!  Where I live I don't have ready access to anything but things I can order online and then I have to wait, and we all know how annoying waiting is.  I usually put my shot/pellets or whatever into part of a stocking doubled over so it does not split and then put it into the bear.  I'm gonna try the pebbles though, never thought of that, thanks!!  bear_thumb

Board footer