Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Katrina's Miniatures Katrina's Miniatures
Website

Hi everyone,
At the end of February, I'll be moving to Scotland. As far as I know, it'll be permanent. I know there are quite a few artists in the UK, and I was wondering if anyone would have any tips or knowledge they could share about how selling works in the UK? Or if anyone would know where I could look some things up? I'm mainly wondering what the rules would be about operating my etsy shop there, VAT, general tax laws, shipping advice, or anything else I might need to know about that I can't think of at the moment? I'm a US citizen, but I have a UK marriage visa, so I'm allowed to work over there.
Also, does anyone have any experience with moving lots of personal possessions over to the UK? I think we've mostly sorted out how we'll get everything over, and it's not like we have to move furniture or anything, but does anyone have any ideas/experience?
Thanks!

Jenbee Barnetby Bears
England
Website

Welcome to the UK! I love your dragons, it is nice to know they will soon be flying round the Scottish countryside  ;)

I have never used Etsy so don't know much about that but when I set up I used this site https://www.gov.uk/browse/business/setting-up that's the official government site. I set up as a sole trader so I imagine that's the route you would take. All info about tax and national insurance payments is on there also.

Good luck with the move bear_original

Website

Thanks, Jenbee! Looks like that link will be really helpful bear_original

nettie scotland
Website

welcome to Scotland.Most of my creations go to the US and other countries.I sell only two or three a year here.I wish you all the best ..pack warm clothes!!mind you the US is having a colder time than we are this year.

Website

Thanks Nettie! I'm looking forward to being back there (I was there a few months this summer). I usually like cooler, maybe rainy weather, so we'll see how long I stay that way bear_happy

Board footer