Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

EdwardsMum Posts: 3

Hello Everyone,

I have been looking for help on identifying my family bear.

His name is Teddy Edward Bear and he was given to my father's older brother, who sadly died of TB when my dad was very little, so we suspect he is a 1930's bear.
I am guessing he might be a Chiltern bear, as my Grandma and her family lived in that part of the world, but with both her husband and her father being Navy men, he could have come from anywhere theoretically.
He has no labels or buttons e.t.c., but I think his eyes are glass and his nose is quite distinctly stitched in a rectangle from left to right rather than up to down.
He is most loved and I try to look after him, but any tips on keeping him looking great and feeling good would be welcomed!

Thanks all.

Kate.

1396542901_image.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I'd say Chad Valley (before it was taken over by Chiltern). If you can find an example of their Magna series from the 30s, I think you'll see why I say Chad Valley.

Teddy Edward is a charmer!

Becky

e.g.
1396665892_chad_valley_magna.jpg

1396665997_chad_valley_magna_4_grande.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

To keep an old ted looking great, keep him out of sunlight, and do whatever you can to prevent moth damage (control them in the house, and if you ever see moth activity in his mohair fur, get him into a freezer for a few days). Other than that, dust removal (I carefully use the brush attachment of a vacuum cleaner) is important. Once the dust is removed, you could fluff up the fur a bit with a soft brush, but he looks quite good already, in my opinion.

Becky

EdwardsMum Posts: 3

Becky, thank you so much.

What a star your bear is!!!!

They look like long lost twins x

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I'm glad I could help!

I should have mentioned that the pics I posted were from Google images (not my collection), and there were a lot of good ones there. I have an old Petz bear from the 30s, but nary a Chad Valley in the bunch. bear_original (I might need to work on that...) bear_whistle

Becky

Board footer