Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

AliyaBH Posts: 10

To shave or not to shave a bears muzzle that is my question.
As I'm a newbie to the whole scene, it never occurred to me that artist bears were having their faces shaved, as I look around the web I'm finding mostly shaven muzzles or needle felted faces (and more often on mohair).
Is it just about personal preference or do you just experiment and find what works?

The bear I'm working on is all done in faux fur, with a decent medium length pile, so far I think he looks pretty adorable (keeping in mind he is yet to be stuffed and have his eyes placed) his muzzle is also a different colour to the rest of his face, so I'm just curious as too what everyone else did the first time round.

I'm also curious do you use clippers (electric ones) or do you use scissors or both?
Is it ok to clip and shave after his face is put together or best done before his sewn up?

Thanks in advance
~Aliya

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Definitely after the head is stuffed, and definitely see what works for you. I always trim a little at a time with small scissors until I like what I see.  bear_happy
Becky

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

If you are using faux fur, then I would suggest you to absolutely avoid total shaving, as the backing in faux fur doesn't normally look good. Becky gave you a good suggestion, to trim it, if you feel like it. Trimming, or scissor sculpting, can really change the shapes. Scissor sculpting faux fur can give great effects, but you have to go slow and trim little after little, especially if you are doing it for the first time. I always compare my creations to my children, saying that I have a better time when I do their scissor sculpting then when I cut my children's hair, because THEY (the creations) stay still and don't complain.... bear_grin
The downside is that if you make a mistake, the hair doesn't grow back! bear_original  bear_original
Have fun experimenting, maybe try some scissor sculpting on a leftover fur scrap to get the feel of it!

Copi Khatz Creations Copi Khatz Creations
Worcester

Definitely have a go on a piece of scrap fur, as Francesca suggests, just to see how it looks and if you like the effect. I use a small pair of scissors to sculpt (after the head is stuffed) and go very, very slowly. Faux fur can be great to sculpt with as it is quite dense - just don't take too much off too soon as the result can look 'choppy'; to aim for a smooth effect take off just a small amount of the pile length and keep working until you get the shape you want.

The first mohair creation I made was a monkey. I needle felted his face. Since then I have been doing more scissor sculpted faces, with needle felted features. Both are great techniques to have up your sleeve.  bear_original

AliyaBH Posts: 10

Thank you all so much for the suggestions  bear_smile
I never thought of it that way with the backing showing too much so I will stay clear of the clippers.
Thank you for the scissor sculpting suggestion Francesca, I have zero skill at cutting my own son's hair  bear_laugh  I just use the clippers, maybe one day he will hold still, his so ticklish. So yes I can see how Teddy bears make perfect models for this.

I will now invest some money into smaller finer scissors and have a try at this technique  bear_thumb

bear_happy I certainly am much more interested in learning the art of needle felting now, I love seeing all the needle felted muzzles and faces they are all so beautiful  bear_wub

Thank you all again  bear_wub
~Aliya

Board footer