Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

The-Toy-Chest Posts: 2

I hope that I posted this thread in the correct category. If I got the wrong one, please feel free to move it.

I've been trying to identify this bear since I picked him up at Goodwill about a week ago.  I did the burn test with a few strands of his fur and it turned to soft ash in my fingers so I am pretty sure he is genuine mohair. He is about 11.5 inches standing and 8.25 inches when seated.  Eyes are solid black and sound like plastic when I tap them with my fingernail. Paw pads are a soft velvet-like material.

One thing that I found interesting was that his ears are not sewn into a seam on his head.  Rather, they are stitched to the side of his head.  Not sure if this is worth mentioning but it was a little detail I thought peculiar.

He also has the pointy back hump though I have read that companies other than Steiff will do this too so I am still uncertain what company might have made him.

The last detail worth mentioning is some writing on his left foot.  It looks to be somebody's name written in cursive as well as a year.  It looks as if it has gotten wet since it was written so I am unable to make out the name.  It looks like "Mertis Marwood" or something along those lines and the year is "1996." Not sure if this was something that he was manufactured to have or if somebody drew it onto his foot later.

Below are the pictures I took of him.  If anyone has any knowledge of his origins or can help in any way, I'd be very grateful.  Thanks!  bear_original

bear01_zps4126f805.jpg

bear02_zps6dbe94d0.jpg

bear03_zps2bc31ebe.jpg

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

He's an artist made bear, yes mohair as well. the sewn on ears are typical of artist bears. I see there is writing on his paw...close-up please?

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

He's an artist bear...very nice. I don't recognise  the style but he's lovely...nice fabric. I wouldn't say he's old looking at his nose I'd say he was made recently. I'd say that 1996 would be about right but don't reconise that name.

The-Toy-Chest Posts: 2

Ah, an artist bear?  The craftsmanship is exquisite... it makes him even more intriguing to me.  Here are the close-up shots of the writing on his left foot:

paw01_zps9f67b463.png

paw02_zps1437b5ba.png

Board footer