Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

PlushPuppy Posts: 110

I've finally finished my little dog! I set her all out and wrapped up ready for my customer then phoned them to collect and gave the price for everything - £300. All ok and agreed for them to fetch this weekend. Then they rang back a few minutes later, saying that it was far too expensive, they couldn't afford it, it was going to be a Xmas present for their dog and they thought I'd said it would only be £40-50. I told them it was no way that cheap, that the cost of all the material and stuff was £160 without my time, skill and efforts to actually make it!! And when they originally said, 5 months ago, that they wanted one, I said that I didn't know how much it would cost and they said that they didn't care as it was worth it. So now I'm £150 odd out of pocket and all my efforts were for nothing bear_sad . I'm quite annoyed too, I shelled out on the stuff in good faith as they'd said 'money no object' and now it comes to paying they don't want to fork out more than £40. Im not the sort to take action over something like this, but out of interest, where do you stand in such a case? What can/do you do when a customer refuses to cough up? Is there even anything you can do?

Here is the finished pup, I'm so pleased with her, just upset though that my efforts were in vain bear_sad :

97676315-16B6-4343-A30F-E7F66665A2EC_zpsq7hrdvmj.jpg

70697180-5677-4292-B655-FD73E533129E_zpsuk2d5sbd.jpg

69465A73-3156-4184-B2A8-63B9421C6D25_zpsa569iufo.jpg

D0E924CB-4CB3-410E-9D9A-BDEA3BF3FA07_zpszskuskqp.jpg

2EF99251-027B-4CC0-92E6-23CCCB1FBA70_zpsi1btwn7b.jpg

60E7A74A-B403-4FEC-B913-A4C3E36A7DE0_zpscruqeitn.jpg

8431170C-8C78-4380-83B6-278FD3529B32_zpscb1dkvhm.jpg

6547391F-9E24-4685-926E-88FB448CF8F7_zpsqfuo8cwo.jpg

The iPad camera is not that great quality, her nose isn't as 'big/blocky' as that!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

The dog is alert-looking and adorable. There's not much you can do now in terms of the original customer, so I'd list her for sale.

Pink's advice about collecting a deposit first is good, and could help to prevent miscommunication. Still, there can be a few annoying transactions. Not many.

Becky

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp
veen-bears wrote:

What many artists do if they accept an order: ask for a non refundable amount before you start; not a small amount but a fair amount. If they confirm, accept and pay: start. If not: don't.
It happens that once it comes to payment after you finished a creation a customer doesn't want to buy it; it happened a few times to one of my friends (who sold hundreds!) and she has decided not to take custom orders anymore.......but you can accept them in my opinion.

I totally agree with Pink and Becky: if you don't know the customer very well (i.e. he/she is not one of your regular and reliable customers), always ask for a substantial non-refundable deposit.  It will be very hard to start an argument with your customer now, because you never agreed on a fixed price before taking on the commission.  If it's impossible to give an exact price at the time of commission, you could give them a price range, for example, between £ 250 and £ 350.

This said, I am sorry to hear about your bad experience, especially since he is such a beautiful dog, but don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. bear_whistle

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

Pink offers you good advise all the way around.  When I am doing a custom order, before I buy anything, I figure the cost of the materials and that is what I charge as a non-refundable payment.  I also give them a firm price for the whole project so nobody is surprised at the end.  Sometimes people buy these from impulse and what is good at the time of negotiations is not the same when weeks have passed and the time comes to pay.  Your dog is beautiful and you should be able to sell him to someone else - good luck!

EJ Netcong, New Jersey

What a bummer! I'm so sorry to hear that!   Your little dog is beautiful!!  I'm sure you can sell him easily!  bear_original

The only suggestion I would make, along with a deposit, please make sure the order is in writing spelling everything out -- not only break down the cost, but indicate the time for delivery as well, so an email to the customer and a confirmation from the customer can only be helpful, so there isn't a surprise for anyone!

Hugs!

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

I agree with what everybody else said. Sometimes people, especially if they are new to 'our' world, have problems understanding the pricing. When they say that money is 'no issue', they probably mean it earnestly because they imagine that they are speaking about a much lower range than it really is. They don't have any idea of the work and craftmanship involved, of the materials we are using and so on. They compare our work to mass produced toys sold in chain stores, probably produced with underpaid child labor!
I think you have to think of this as a lesson. Your dog is truly beautiful, and I'm sure you'll have no problems selling it to somebody that really appreciates the time and efforts you put into making it. You did a great job, and your inexperience only showed in the 'dealing with the custom order' thing, because other than that, the dog is really great and professionally made!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

koonienett Lüdinghausen
Website

You've got so good advices. For me remains only one thing to do. I wish you good luck by selling the lovely dog.

Also I think your customers have no idea about your work bear_rolleyes .  A work like this is not suitable as present or toy for a dog.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I don't sell bears but my aunt is in the antique business. Here is what I learn from her over the years:
1) Always stand behind your product
2) If a customer changes their mind and wants to return it, you offer a full refund
3) Be gracious even if you are annoyed.
4) Always disclose what you know about your product, flaws and all (may not apply to your bear)

By practicing these principle, my aunt has an excellent reputation in the business community and has many repeat customers.

Here is her fifth rule: "If it really is good and you love it, keep it for yourself".  bear_original

Your dog is cute as a button. I know there is a perfect home out there for him.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Those are excellent rules from you aunt, Michelle (or at least I agree wholeheartedly).  bear_original

Thanks for sharing!

Becky

thank you Becky.  bear_original

PlushPuppy Posts: 110

Wow I've not checked here for a bit, due to it being Christmas and everything, but thank you so much for all your lovely kind comments :rose:. I was feeling a bit down about it to be honest, it knocked my confidence, sort of "did I go wrong somewhere?", but the comments here has helped me gain it back, and certainly taught me a valuable lesson for the future.

And something else that has helped me gain my confidence.... I sold my little dog!!! I couldn't believe it, I took her down the town to show someone who I'd gotten talking to the day before, and whilst waiting for them, someone saw her in my bag and bought her on the spot as a Christmas present for their wife, who I was told would adore her as she collects dolls and such. I got £180 for her, not as much as I'd originally asked, but it's my first sale, you live and learn,  I'm happy enough with it, it's enough to cover the cost of the materials, plus a bit extra, and has given me a boost to make more. So as soon as Ive paid up, I'm going to order more fabric and get started on the next one!

A huge thank you for all your help and advice over the last 12 months, I've learnt to do stuff this year that I never thought I could, and discovered something I really enjoy doing. bear_wub xxx

EJ Netcong, New Jersey

That is fantastic news!!! bear_grin  I KNEW you would sell that little cutie!! bear_wub bear_wub We all live and learn....

koonienett Lüdinghausen
Website

That sounds very good - so you have a good start to the new year  bear_thumb

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Your dog is soooooo adorable!!

I once had a custom order for a pink bear, she even picked out the material as I sent her a few pics.  She paid me and once she received it she said it was to pink!!  Long story short I ended up refunding her some money as she was making such a fuss about it and then she turned around and asked if she could put the refund toward another bear! UGH  My answer was NO!! 

This lady still sends me e-mails, not asking for a bear, greeting cards - I don't know why but I just delete them!

I'm so glad that it all worked out in the end!  I knew the puppy would sell without any problems and yes please make more!

congratulations on the sale of your dog. I knew it would be snapped up.  bear_original

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Congratulations! It is a great way to start a new year!  bear_original

Board footer