Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

Hello fellow and sister arctophiles,  I found a teddy bear making book on Half.com (Ebay) that I had never heard of before, so I bought a copy and am awaiting receipt:

Bear Basics and Beyond : An Inspirational Guide. the Teddy Bear Making Basics, Through to Creating and Promoting your Own Unique Collection by Helen Gleeson (2011, Paperback)

And here I thought I had heard or sold all of the extant teddy bear making books, because my company used to sell teddy bear making books online and at shows!

Have any of you heard of, and/or own, Bear Basics and Beyond?  Any comments on the book? 

Hugs, Gail

jillanne UX'BEARies
Toronto

She is an Australian bear artist.  Her web site states the following about the above book:   is the book veteran bear artist Helen Gleeson always wanted to buy, but could never find. So she wrote it herself. Now you have a complete and inspirational guide to making beautiful bears which covers everything from the initial concept to the final marketing and promotion of your own special bear collection. Helen guides you through your choice and collection of supplies and shows you the difference between real fur, synthetic fur, alpaca, suede, leather and all the threads, sinews and stuffing you'll need to make a beautiful teddy bear. You'll learn all there is to know about every bear making tool: the scissors, the forceps, the pliers, the awl, the brushes, the needles essential to your artistry. You'll be taken step by step, carefully and clearly, along the path of construction with scores of images and patterns which separate out each individual little task and make each one simple and easy to follow. Finally, Helen goes over with you a business plan and the subsequent marketing and promotion of your own personal bear collection through shows, websites, blogs, magazines and networking. You have every single thing you need in these pages to become successful in business or pleasure as the creator of beautiful teddy bears. Happy stitching!

Her web site:  http://www.barecubdesigns.com/main.html

Interested to hear your review of this book.
Hope this helps.
Jill

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I too would like to hear your critique of the book. I looked at her website and had a lot of fun looking at her beautiful bears and tips.

Jozi Bears Jozi Bears
Johannesburg

Yes please let us know once you have received this book if its any good!  bear_thumb

Board footer