Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Ms-debano Posts: 7

Hi! I've had this bear since I was a newborn, and he's been my partner through a lot. He's starting to look worn and sad though, and I need some help finding a replacement. He's a 1991-1998 Boyd's Bear, and when I was little he had a ribbon but of course I lost it. I would love to find one before my husband deploys, so any help is much appreciated! I've uploaded some pictures of him and his tag. Thank you!

EDIT: he's about 13inches tall and the tag is on the back of his foot.

1422946049_image.jpg
1422945841_image.jpg
1422946118_image.jpg

Phil@TC Coventry
Website

A replacement? You can't do that - how heartless. You could take in another bear to help him out and give him a bit of a rest. But bears can't be replaced.

This also worries me because I'm starting to look a bit worn and sad myself.

Phil

bear_grin

Not really a replacement but one I feel more comfortable traveling with. He'll always be my number one but because of that I don't want him getting any more damaged. He'll be semi-retired to cuddlebuddy and I'd like a matching kne to take over adventures.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

He's not sad and worn.  He's loveworn!  A badge of honor that any Teddy Bear would be proud to wear!  bear_laugh

His mouth is wearing off and it's making him look sad.  bear_tongue

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Maybe tired but I don't think sad.

He's done years of service, taking care of his human and being "bestest buddies," he deserves to look a little tired.
A loveworn Bear is the best kind of Bear.  Lovewear is the highest badge of honor for a Teddy Bear that all Bears aspire to.  Other Bears are jealous of him.

But I also agree that it's probably time for him to retire to mascothood where he can live on top of the dresser in the bedroom and be "Head Lookout," "Chief Advisor" and "King of All He Surveys."

It's time for a Changing of the Guard.  Besides, he's going to need time to properly train his new replacement on how to take care of his human.   bear_grin

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

https://www.etsy.com/listing/118311010/ … -the-boyds  Top row, middle pic.  I just did a Google search and came up with this page.  Hope it works out for you.

I looked at that listing and it's not the right bear. That one is shorter and his fur isn't right, mine has curlier fur but thank you! I've actually bought a couple bears off Etsy and none of them have been mine.

The way his mouth wore over time legitimately makes him look sad, it's strange but that's my bear. It's time for him to pass the torch of international travel to another bear, I couldn't bear the thought of actually losing him after I had a scare.

EJ Netcong, New Jersey

How about this bear? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOYDS-BEAR-Bear … 4868fc0fee

His name is Winkie.   I found him on ebay....he might be your bear (if your bear was sent to a spa where he was lightly sponged and fluffed up a bit????)  bear_grin   I would like to be sent to a spa.....but never mind....(Note to Phil:  worn and sad bears are bears that have CHARACTER!)

Anyway.....I like your bear as he is....but maybe the one on ebay would make a good companion (NOT a replacement)!

I think that's him! Thank you so much! I'm definitely going to send mine to the spa once my spouse is back. I love him as is, but I'm worried that he'll fall apart if I keep loving him as aggressively as I do. Definitely a companion, replacement was a poor choice of words. I'll order one and report back!

EDIT: Probably not him, the tag placement is wrong. Mine has a tag on his ankle, not his tush. bear_sad

Crown Critters Crown Critters
Dallas, Texas
Website
EJ Netcong, New Jersey

Bummer!  Well, it was close.

One more try...how about this one...the tag is attached to the back of his leg, not his tush it looks like anyway.  It doesn't say how tall he is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boyd-s-Bears-In … 35e4aedb34

(Anthony, yours is a good candidate, too.)

EJ- I have that one! He's not the same but he's very cuddly.

Anthony- I sent a message to the seller asking for a better picture of the tag, if it's a yellow thread tag then it's probably mine.

Us Bears Pennsylvania
Ms-debano wrote:

The way his mouth wore over time legitimately makes him look sad, it's strange but that's my bear. It's time for him to pass the torch of international travel to another bear, I couldn't bear the thought of actually losing him after I had a scare.

I really don't think he looks sad.  He just looks tired.

I like the thought of him "passing the torch" but don't think of him as being retired.
Do consider that whoever the Bear is that takes the torch is going to need to be trained in how to properly care for his human.  The "Old Guard" bear is the one who will teach the new Bear how to carry on the tradition.

I know that you want to find the same kind of Bear to carry on the tradition.  If you can find the same one, it would be a good thing.
But, if you can't, would you consider taking "Old Bear" along with you to a Bear store and have him help you pick out the new Bear?

That way it would be like a job interview.  bear_grin

Phil@TC Coventry
Website

I'm content now - reassured that this faithful friend will have a long and happy semi-retirement.  bear_thumb Phil

1423525208_image.jpg

Update! I got the three bear listing and it was the bigger version of my bear! Thank you so much!!

EJ Netcong, New Jersey

Fabulous!  I like that he has a bigger friend now!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

They look very happy together  bear_original

Becky

Crown Critters Crown Critters
Dallas, Texas
Website

O I am so happy for you! May he bring you many years of joy!  bear_wub

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website