Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Missjune75 Posts: 14

This is my Mom's teddy. The eyes fell out and she drew them in at summer camp. Jointed arms and legs and a bakelite type plastic nose. Have not seen one like it in my research. Any ideas?

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

No ideas, but I find him very beautiful.  bear_wub

Becky

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Lovely bear!  Not trying to be nosy to find out your mom's age, but do you know about how old the bear might be?  He's not familiar to me, but does he have any kind of tag that might give us a clue . . . or how tall the bear is?

Jenbee Barnetby Bears
England
Website

Haven't seen one like him before, but he is lovely  bear_wub

SueAnn-  This teddy was given to my Mom's older sister in the the late 1930's*.My Mom was born in 1942 but her sister is 8 years older than her. I will be able to measure the teddy when I go visit again in the beginning of August. It's a medium sized teddy not bigger than 24". My Mom has no idea of the origin of her teddy. I know her father's mother was English. Her parents had a fondness for English and European things so my research has been pointed in that direction as well as the US. The nose may be waxed and not some kind of Bakelite as I previously wrote.
I so appreciate all the kind words about this teddy. I've always loved him. 
*I think this teddy was made during 1930s when popularity of the panda style of teddy bear was at its height.

No tag but one could have been on him at one point. As you can see, he has had a rich well-loved life! I will post measurements in August when I visit.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Okay . . . meantime I'll try to find more info on this bear.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Another early nose material was gutta percha, which is a kind of latex. (I had to look it up, since the name always sounded to me like something from inside a fish.)  bear_original

Becky

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Lol, Becky.

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

bear_wub  bear_wub Oh what a wonderful Panda! I have no idea about his providence but boy he has lots of appeal that can only come from a great design and of course years of loving  bear_original

Bear is 14" from head to toe and about 9 1/2 inches sitting up.

EJ Netcong, New Jersey

what a beauty!   i'd like to know if there's cardboard in his feet.

Teddy&Bears übear Teddy Bears
Melbourne
Website

Ask Jo at Teddy and Bears, she will have some idea who made it. bear_cool

Churton M Posts: 43

Oh my goodness I think my mother inlaw has the exact same teddy at her house also with missing eyes! I am visiting her later today so will check to see if he has a label or anything else that will help identify him.

No cardboard in the feet EJ! It's a crunchy sounding kind of stuffing not soft.

Board footer