Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

jellybiehn Posts: 13

Hello, I tried searching the library first but only found topics involving the pulled toes. I am having buckling of the fabric around the perimeter of the paw pad. I hand sew all the paws including the trapunto pads. Is it an inconsistency with my stitches or maybe the type of footpad fabric (it is rather thin)? Adding more stuffing isn't completely taking it away but I will keep at it with my stuffing tool unless anyone has some suggestions for me.

Hope it shows up well in the photo....

Thanks, jessi

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Hi Jessi,

I can't see a photo so I'm not sure what's happening.  I know myself it I make the paw pad a little too big it's hard not to get puckering.  I always try and make my stitches very small and in as straight of a line as possible.  Maybe try reloading the picture.

Hope this helps a little.

Olga Goncharova Siberia, Russia
Website

Hi Jessi,
I agree with Jane. I do the following things to avoid the buckling
- make sure the paw pad size matches the leg size. For me it's better to have the paw pad a little smaller than larger. I use wire to measure the length
- draw the seam allowance line both on the paw pad and the bottom of the leg - that helps to join these parts properly. I use my disappearing ink marker for that
- use a lot of small pins to keep the paw pad in place when sewing
- make very small hand stitches, and for every stitch I look where the needle goes out to be sure the seam is even

jellybiehn Posts: 13

Yes, I had given up on the picture after several attempts to post this as I could not get one in an acceptable file size....
Thank you both for the tips, I will give them a try.  I am very new at this pattern designing so I will check on the paw pad size first as this may be my error .

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Jessi,

If you are designing your own foot pads I just double the length of the bottom of the foot.  I usually cut that length out of a piece of wire and then bend it to the shape that I want.  Sometimes I will also add 1/8-1/4 in to the length for a foot pad that protrudes out a bit at the bottom of the pad. 

Hope that makes sense.

Where in Canada do you live??

Board footer