Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

student bearmaker Northern Ireland

I had a search in the library for info on Needlesculpting but I need something visual to help me understand this technique.
I bought a pattern by Marlene de Lorenzo (photo attached) which has a tear drop shaped muzzle and I know I need to needle sculpt between the eyes and a bit above to create a narrower nose bridge.My difficulty is I don't know what else needs done down the side head from the eyes to under the chin (if anything?) because I can only find frontal views of this shape of muzzle and no close ups of a side profile.
I have quite a few Teddybear making books but none cover this technique in great detail.If anyone could help with photos or diagrams I would be most grateful as I don't want to make needless holes in my expensive mohair fabric.
Many thanks
Renee

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Renee, I've been hoping that someone with experience with this kind of muzzle will weigh in!

I'm thinking that much of the shape you see is actually built into the pattern and accentuated by the scissor sculpting of the pile. I think you're right that you'd need to needle sculpt some deeper eye sockets, but continuing down the sides might pinch that muzzle... (Does the head gusset sort of balloon out toward the tip/nose area? Do you have a piece of fabric to make just a trial head with?)

Sorry not to have better answers, so I hope to hear from others. It's an interesting question!

Becky

Thanks for responding folks, I really appreciate your help. bear_thumb
Becky - the gusset end is a bit like the shape of the broad bill of a duck- billed platypus and on the side head the length of the bit from the eye spot to the tip of the nose seems quite long. I'm certain you're right about the scissor sculpting accentuating the shape,the pile of the mohair I'm using is about 1 inch/25mm long bear_cry - Arrgggghh... that will be a real challenge for me.
Pink - it's interesting to learn of your trials and efforts in making this muzzle shape. I will follow the tip from both of you to get some inexpensive cotton fabric to practice on.
I'm beginning to wonder if I have been a bit over ambitious in trying this pattern,given my limited bear making experience but I'll give it my best shot and as you advise Pink,I'll make sure I have fun doing it.
I'm not fast at bearmaking but when I do get him finished I'll let you know how I managed.
Thanks again for taking the time to give me your advice and expertise.  bear_flower

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I think you'll do just fine, Renee. Even if the resulting bear isn't exactly like the one in the photo (and it's unlikely that any of us could make an exact copy), it could be pretty wonderful!

It sounds like the pattern is meant to create an ample nose shape. It would be nice if you could make a test head in some kind of fur, just to give you the best idea. (If you were in the U.S. I'd set you up with some of my off-cut pieces. Overseas shipping costs have spoiled some things.)

Becky

Oh Becky, unfortunately it's more than a bus ride away for me bear_sad but many thanks for your generous thought anyway.
I realise now that I would need to use a long pile fabric to practice the scissor sculpting bit.I do have a short length of long pile mohair languishing somewhere in a cupboard because when it was delivered I hated the colour (looked very different from the shade on my computer screen when I placed my order), so I could look that out and put it to good use.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Definitely more than a bus ride!  bear_grin

For me, a dense pile is more important to scissor sculpting actual shapes than is the pile length. I'm inserting a link to my Little Liza Jane bear because I was happy with the scissor sculpting on this small bear with a not-very-long pile: http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=54604 (Note how cutting into the fur from the eyes down and leaving the sides of the muzzle rounded and longer starts to get at the shape of the muzzle in your photo - with just my usual head-gusset/snout pattern shape.)

Becky

Boogaloo Bears Boogaloo Bears
united kingdom

Hi Becky

Following this thread with interest, but just had to comment on your gorgeous bear - love, love the scissor sculpting and beautiful face you created :)

Renee - I am so looking forward to seeing your finished result, please let us all know how you get on.

Hugs

Lisa x

Aaawww Becky, such a beautiful little bear  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub - Thanks for sharing.
Wonderful work and that perfect nose,ooohhh..... how I envy your skills.
Now I know what I'm aiming for, no pressure   bear_shocked .

Lisa - I'm not a fast bearmaker so don't hold your breath but I will post a photo of my finished bear because I would welcome constructive criticism on my efforts to help me improve.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Lisa and Renee - you're both very kind. Thank you.  bear_flower

I'm also looking forward to seeing your bear when it's finished!

Becky

Board footer